+ Post a comment
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Article on Age UK email re Susan Hampshire caring for her husband with dementia

I hope it's all right to post this here, I thought other TPers might be interested.

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/travel-lifes...=1013516779249

Pauline

I saw this too, Pauline. An interesting article.

Deborah

Thanks Pauline.

Reading the article made me feel very inadequate.

Sylvia

Former Carer and Volunteer Moderator .

I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet

About me

She sounds lovely i wish I was half as nice as her

To be honest, I think she has been very lucky with her husband's progress.. I hope others starting out on this journey will not be deceived into thinking this is how it will go for them.

Even when dad was able to make small conversations, I wasn't able to get him to play dominoes, he wouldn't even pick up the pieces

It's so different for everyone.

Volunteer Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grannie G View Post
    Thanks Pauline.

Reading the article made me feel very inadequate.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeany123 View Post
    She sounds lovely i wish I was half as nice as her
    Wow - I thought it was just me. I read it and thought what a nasty person I must be. Still interesting to read. I didn't know her husband had Alzheimers. I was wondering why he isn't on Aricept or something.
    Izzy
    Carer and Volunteer Moderator

ABOUT ME.

'The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life.'
    Robert Louis Stevenson

Volunteer Moderator
    Blog Entries
    I'm just reading the other links - a quote from 'Can We Be Taught To Grow Old Gracefully' -

Can we do anything to prevent the onset of dementia?

Marie: I personally believe the fear of death, and the fear of getting very old, has something to do with the onset of dementia. If you are isolated you have twice the risk of getting dementia, so it is vital to keep in touch with other people.

Having projects and being creative is very important, and we must try not to fear the prospect of death. I’ve met so many spirited people over 90 with excellent memories, and they have all been very accepting of death.

Mmm!
    Izzy

ABOUT ME.

'The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life.'
    Robert Louis Stevenson

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    I didn't know her husband had Alzheimers. I was wondering why he isn't on Aricept or something.
    Izzy, I think he is on Aricept. See quote..'.he no longer requires pills for cholesterol because that's not a problem any more. Now he takes two pills daily for his diabetes, Vitamin B, cod liver oil, acidophilus, and one low-dose Aricept at night. '

Deborah

Volunteer Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deborah Blythe View Post
    Izzy, I think he is on Aricept. See quote..'.he no longer requires pills for cholesterol because that's not a problem any more. Now he takes two pills daily for his diabetes, Vitamin B, cod liver oil, acidophilus, and one low-dose Aricept at night. '
    Oops - I obviously haven't wakened up properly today!!
    Izzy

ABOUT ME.

Robert Louis Stevenson

Her husband, Eddie Kulukundis is a really well known impresario and benefactor of sports and arts. He also comes from an extremely wealthy background, I believe. I feel sorry for Susan Hampshire. I expect she is trying her damndest to do her best for her husband for as long as possible. And striving to keep up appearances. Money doesn't solve the personal worries that dementia brings nor the emotional blows, I don't suppose.

No one should feel inadequate. Everyone's experiences and situations are different.
    Last edited by DeborahBlythe; 06-04-2012 at 11:48 AM.

Deborah

I haven-'t read this article yet, but I did read John Suchet's b=ook about his wife and he admitted to actually hitting her.

He was very honest, an5d I adm6ir5e him for that. I have never got5 that bad yet, hhhope I never do, but I do show my impati`ence, an6d m6y frustration, usuall6y in the kitchen wh6en he i5s not there, but still I do show it.

Jeannette

Quote Originally Posted by Kathphlox View Post
    To be honest, I think she has been very lucky with her husband's progress.. I hope others starting out on this journey will not be deceived into thinking this is how it will go for them.
    Ditto exactly. My first thoughts were 'Puzzles? SuDoku?? Bridge???' It's been years since I could interest my mother in anything of the sort, yet she was an avid crossword puzzler and bridge player once. Doubt I could even get her to play Beggar My Neighbour now - just not interested in doing anything.

Then again, if SH had said her husband was driving her to screaming pitch, was having 'accidents', asking the same question 30 times an hour, refusing to wash, aggressively asking who the hell she was, why didn't she clear off and let his wife out from wherever she'd locked her up, I don't suppose anyone would have wanted to print it.

I think we all know that when you've seen one case of dementia, you've seen one case of dementia, and nobody on TP (especially you Sylvia) should feel inadequate. We all do our best, what more can we do?

Pauline

Blog Entries
    "The rewards are that Eddie is getting better.".........................

Did I just imagine I read that....?????????

I wonder if the worldwide medical profession knows of this treatment?

Very misleading, especially for someone newly on this road, I think.

Friends, we are not inadequate at all, we have to be realists and make the best of each moment as it arrives, whatever it brings.

Good on Susan if this is how it really is with them, but let's not kidd ourselves that there is anything drastic we can do to change the course of events which lie ahead.

Anyone for Bridge??????

Lots of love, Necion. xxxx
    Life is short, even at it's longest.
    Can't remember where I heard that, but very true.

I am happy if I can get Allen to stop asking me what day it is 60 times a hour, I would be ecstatic if he would show a interest in playing dominoes or doing a crossword puzzle, you are right everyone is different and we just do our best .