+ Post a comment
    Blog Entries

CQC Report on Radio 4 today

There's a report on BBC Radio 4 - The World at One (in half an hour) about the CQC. Might be worth a listen.
    "The best of life is further on, hidden from our eye beyond the hills of time" - Sir William Mulock.

Cqc - ?

CQC - Who are they??? I wrote to them in June 2010 when I encountered severe problems with Social Services and with a care home where my mother was staying for respite. They did not even have the courtesy to acknowledge my letter!!! I was disgusted.

ToniT.

Blog Entries

Story widely reported in the press too

This report was about a short notice request from the Dept of Health to inspect 320 abortion providers in England. Apparently this had a serious knock-on effect on the CQC's work programme - equating to 580 cancelled inspections of care homes, hospitals etc. An argument is now ensuing about whether the secretary of state or the CQC determines its priorities. Sounds like the CQC is complaining that its resources are being diverted.

The CQC has been criticised for failing to flag up serious risks to patient care in a number of care homes and for failing to act on the concerns of a whistleblower in Bristol. The CQC's former chief executive, Cynthia Bower, resigned in February after four years.
    "The best of life is further on, hidden from our eye beyond the hills of time" - Sir William Mulock.

I think the CQC have finally woken up to the fact that they need to concentrate all their efforts into catching up regarding care home inspection. When they were first formed, they spent the first year solely registering care homes. Now they seem to be getting a serious programme together to get to grips with the amount of work involved in care home inspection and are putting together efforts to remedy this backlog. This is being interferred with by the government.

Perhaps this latest 'spat' between the CQC and the government needed to be brought to the surface. The government cannot decide on a whim that the CQC immediately adjust their workplan to suit them. It would seem that because of recent bad publicity about abortion clinics, the government expect the priority to be abortion clinics and want the CQC to put workplans for care home inspections on hold yet again!

xxTinaT
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for everything....

I have a very low opinion of CQC and one day I will tell you why.
    piedwarbler

Prayer of the Breton fishermen: “Dear God, be good to me. The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by piedwarbler View Post
    I have a very low opinion of CQC and one day I will tell you why.
    Ditto......
    To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone - Reba McEntire
    If only it was that easy - 2jays

Blog Entries
    I didn't find the CQC helpful at all in my own case. They didn't reply to my letters. They were willing to talk by phone but nothing was ever confirmed in writing back to me. But I will reserve judgement on the CQC as it must be a monumental task to set up a regulatory body. Can't help feeling I would be a brilliant asset to them as an inspector but alas, I do not hold the required qualifications.

We have just had an unannounced CQC inspection !!!

So, coming from a different angle here are my views.

For the first time in years they were not too interested in our paperwork but more interested in what our service users thought and our staff. They questioned many of our service users and our staff. They wanted to know from the staff about what training/support they had etc etc. They asked many service users many questions about time keeping, whether they were treated with respect etc etc.

Very thorough and no where to hide.

Their report was fair and accurate and I feel that if this is the type of service inspection that is the norm across the care sector then standards must surely have to improve.
    `As we let our own light shine we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same`

NELSON MANDELA

That's really good news Angela. I hope that means they are getting their act together with regard to focusing on the things they need to focus on. I mean appropriate paperwork is important but it's not the whole or even the most important part of the story IMO.
    Jennifer

Volunteer moderator and former long distance carer.

“A test of a people is how it behaves toward the old. It is easy to love children. Even tyrants and dictators make a point of being fond of children. But the affection and care for the old, the incurable, the helpless are the true gold mines of a culture.”

Abraham J. Heschel

Blog Entries
    Yes hopefully good news and not too scary for you Angela!

Well, done Angela. You must be feeling relieved and proud that the CQC has endorsed your hard work and effort. Hopefully the CQC will be using the same format with other inspections which clearly seems to be a better way of inspecting than before.

xxTinaT

I must add that the CQC did find our service compliant , however they had a couple of minor concerns whch we need to sort. One actually was about paperwork, they looked at care plans and one said that Mr A likes to wear his favourite shoes but omitted to say which ones they were!!! The other concern which most of you will find interesting was that we didn`t always document that a care plan review had been done WITH the relatives and that this was very important.
    `As we let our own light shine we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same`

NELSON MANDELA

Sounds more and more hopeful to me Danny!! Wow to have relatives even mentioned on a CQC report seems a miracle

xxTinaT