ADvice about Dad

I am newly arrivbed in Australia (Queensland) for a four week holiday. I am staying at Dad's tonight for a week. He is in the early stages of ASD and has carers to visit five days a week. He is chipper, cheerful and loving but forgets things and repeats a lot. He goes to a Day Care Centre once a week and the group does something the next day. How do I cope? How do I react and what to do to make things easier? He does remember me but forgets who the family is and forgets that I know my brother, his son as he calls it. He asks me"Do you know my son?" My hubby is in the end stage in a nursing home in England and I fear for Dad. I am quite tearful. I would appreciate any advice. Thank you.
    I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure!

Blog Entries
    Hi Boomerang
    Welcome to Queensland . Sorry you have had to face all these problems. I live in Brisbane but my Mum is in UK with end stage Alzheimers, so I don't have any experience of Alzheimer/Dementia support here.
    It seems your Dad has a care package in place. I know it must be very confronting for you to see him like this but if you are only visiting for a week I would 'go with the flow' and try to enjoy your time with him. Could you speak to his Dr? Have you any other family here
    Nanak
    missing what has gone and scared of what is to come

Volunteer Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Hi Boomerang. Like Nanak I think you should just go with the flow and provide any kind of support that feels right. It must be hard for you seeing your dad like this and having your husband in the end stages at home. No wonder you're tearful. x
    Izzy
    Carer and Volunteer Moderator

ABOUT ME.

'The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life.'
    Robert Louis Stevenson

Hello Boomerang

I imagine it must be a shock to see your dad like this especially as you have been unable to grow with his progression. The last time you saw him he was probably so different.

Like the others I say go with the flow if you can however much you are shocked. It puts a lot of pressure on you which is one of the reasons why you are so tearful . I`m sorry your visit won`t be as enjoyable as you`d like.

Sylvia

Former Carer and Volunteer Moderator .

I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet

About me