Unhappy I am so sleep deprived :(

I am so sleep deprived after we got a bed occupancy sensor for Nan. She gets up several time in the night to go to the toilet, and she need help with going every time, meaning every time the pager goes off I have to get up to help her.

It has got to a point where I don't want to go to bed as I know as soon as I start dozing off the stupid pager will start shouting "BEEP... NUMBER 1" until either I press reset on the sensor or she gets back into bed.

Luckily my partner is off work for a few weeks, so he can keep an eye on Nan if I fall asleep in the chair during the day, but even then I only get an hour before she need the toilet again. But don't know what I'm going to do when he gets back into work!

Don't get me wrong, I can deal with everything else, it is just the sleep deprivation getting to me.

I guess this has turned out to be just a rant...

Any suggestions welcome....

You could do with a sitter for some times during the day so you can catch up.

Sylvia
    Carer and Member of the Volunteer Moderation Team

I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet

About me

Hello Charlotte, I am sorry to hear you are so tired. Can I ask if your nan has had a Community Care Assessment yet? I do think it might be worth pushing for one, it includes an assessment for you as a carer. Here is a link to the AS factsheet.

Community Care Assessment

Very best wishes, please let us know how you get on x

I feel for you

Hi Charlotte,
    My mum also needs a pressure pad by her bed and it can go off up to 20 + times a night, there have been periods when I have had no sleep at all, usually when she has a bad night and is in and out of bed all night. I can't offer any advice really but I can offer a lot of sympathy, sleep deprivation makes you very grumpy (well that's my experience). It's not always bad but I never have more than 2 hrs sleep in a row, I get a lot of early nights to cope with it. Have you thought of night sitters? Sorry I don't know where you are up to in this nightmare. Respite is the only time I get better sleep (and then there's the worry associated with that).
    God I sound gloomy, I've also just had a bad night with Mum as she had a fall with the sitter yesterday (my weekly 3hr break) and I therefore have to deal with all the repercussions of that! GOOD LUCK!!

Thanks all for replies. Janice, it is somewhat reassuring that I'm not the only one, although I really wouldn't wish it on anyone, it's a horrible feeling.

The sleep deprivation is making it so I am picking up any bug that may be around. A few weeks ago, I picked up a cold from my nephew, it hit me so hard, if I didn't know any better, I would have said it was flu, which then turned into tonsillitis.

Social services are going to arrange a sit call for Tuesday's, after lunch time for 2 hrs. and we have day centre on Friday's. We missed it last week as we had an assessment for a different day centre, which can only offer half day's on Friday's, so that was a waste of time, and this week is Good Friday, so no Day Centre this week either. The problem is, I tend to use the Friday's to do things I'm not able to do while I have Nan, like take the car to the garage or do a Tesco shop.

Although, we have found out she now has a urine infection, so hopefully when that has cleared up, we might be getting a little more sleep, although I'm not holding out much hope.

It has just got to a point where I just dread going to bed, just to avoid that horrible feeling you get when being woken up in the middle of the night. It feels like I just doze off when the alarm goes off again.

Short of pulling my hair out, I really cannot find a solution. The only other thing I could think of, is giving a sedative, but I absolutely am NOT going to do that. Beside, I might end up being the one taking them at this rate, lol.

Christin, there are so many assessments, I think we have had one, I know I have had a carers assessment, David from the Alzheimer's Society came and did that one for me, and a SS care manager came and did an assessment for Nan about her care needs etc. SS are well aware of the sleep problems as well.

Again, this has turned into a rant, apologies. x