Blog Entries

First UTI any advice pre diagnosis?

Hi,
    Hubby is in hospital after hip replacement operation last Wednesday, this morning he awoke in a soaking and rank smelling bed, staff couldn't get a urine sample but I got one at lunchtime which has gone to the lab., apparently it will take a few days to come through with results, any advice, knowledge or folk lore on things I can do in the meantime to help, apart from getting as much fluid into him as possible, maybe cranberry juice, I'll get some in the morning.

He is also constipated, hasn't been for a week now, all adding to the dementia problems of course.

He did have his first post op. walk the length of the bed with the OT this afternoon, has been getting restless and standing on his own - another fall in the offing!

Anyway, any suggestions more than welcome, thank you.
    With best wishes from Jo
    There isn't enough darkness in the whole universe to put out the light of one candle (quote Hubby, 25 September 2010)

Blog Entries
    Hello Jo

Yes as much fluid as you can get him to drink will help as will the cranberry juice - my MIL does this for my FIL. The fluid will also help with the constipation so will fruit is you can get him to eat some - although I know it can be very difficult.

Hope the result soes not take too long to come back. Best Wishes

Quote Originally Posted by Jo1958 View Post
    Hi,
    Hubby is in hospital after hip replacement operation last Wednesday, this morning he awoke in a soaking and rank smelling bed, staff couldn't get a urine sample but I got one at lunchtime which has gone to the lab., apparently it will take a few days to come through with results, any advice, knowledge or folk lore on things I can do in the meantime to help, apart from getting as much fluid into him as possible, maybe cranberry juice, I'll get some in the morning.

He is also constipated, hasn't been for a week now, all adding to the dementia problems of course.

He did have his first post op. walk the length of the bed with the OT this afternoon, has been getting restless and standing on his own - another fall in the offing!

Anyway, any suggestions more than welcome, thank you.
    With best wishes from Jo

I can only echo the plenty of fluids advice Jo. I hope it works. xx

Sylvia

Former Carer and Volunteer Moderator .

I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet

About me

Volunteer Moderator
    Blog Entries
    I agree with the fluid intake but also please get the hospital to take constipation seriously. It really can make a dementia patient very poorly.

The walking the length of the bed is a great achievement but the last thing you want is another fall.

You must be on edge waiting for some improvement - lets hope you see some signs soon.

Best wishes
    Jan
    Former Carer and Volunteer Moderator

'Hope is a lover's staff, walk hence with that and manage it against despairing thoughts' (Shakespeare)

About me

Prunes or prune juice are a great help with constipation.

Love

Margaret

Blog Entries
    Thank you all,
    Yes, so tomorrow once again I will try to get fluids into hubby, I'll get some tinned prunes and liquised then before I head for the hospital, and also some cranberry, what harm in too much choice!
    The walking is good but his aggitation is a worry, fluids, fluids and more fluids ...
    With best wishes from Jo
    There isn't enough darkness in the whole universe to put out the light of one candle (quote Hubby, 25 September 2010)

Blog Entries
    Best Wishes for today and Ihope you can see some imporvement

Quote Originally Posted by Jo1958 View Post
    Thank you all,
    Yes, so tomorrow once again I will try to get fluids into hubby, I'll get some tinned prunes and liquised then before I head for the hospital, and also some cranberry, what harm in too much choice!
    The walking is good but his aggitation is a worry, fluids, fluids and more fluids ...
    With best wishes from Jo

Blog Entries
    Hi Jo , Sorry this is a bit late & also sorry your Hubby might have a UTI ( not good ) as other's have said fluids & more fluids is a good way to treat it ! & Prunes for the other problem ! Hubby can join "Me With The Fluid Intake" cos on Sunday started with a Sore Throat Infection ! & on Monday had Appt with G P & am on A B 's !

Hope things start to improve all round for your Hubby & ( you ) & the Prunes & Drinks do "The Trick "

Take Care & you are both in my thoughts

Love & Hugs Love Grove x x
    Where there is injury,pardon;
    Where there is dicord,union;
    Where there is doubt, faith;
    Where there is despair; hope;
    Where there is darkness,light;
    Where there is sadness,joy;

ST Francis Of Assisi

Lots of fluids and fruit juice, cranberry is very good but if he won't drink it due to the taste then cranberry extract tablets are just as effective (but remember to make up the fluids with water, fruit juice or squash)

As UTI's are much rarer in men than women because our anatomical arrangments make it much harder for bacteria to gain access it's worth asking for an investigation, espescially if there's another infection.

UTI's in women are so common they are routine - in men they can be treated as suspiscious because there may be something else going on. The most common cause of this is the prostate enlargement very often found in men of advancing years. It's usually benign - ie it is harmless except for the troublesome symptoms that can sometimes arise.

I'm guessing that the urine sample has been sent for laboratory analysis to both specifically identify the infection (and thus the most effective treatment for it) and to see if there are any other abnormalities. In a woman symptoms alone or a dipstick test are considered sufficient, in a man, further investigations may be in order.

I speak from personal experience in this - fortunately it turned out to be nothing after a battery of ultrasound scans, CT scans, x-rays and a cystoscopy!

Please check about giving cranberry juice for a UTI.

Yes it is very good normally, but if the patient is on warfarin it can affect the URI levels.
    Often vascular dementia patients are on warfarin to stop blood clots, so just a word of warning to take care.
    My own surgery nurse gave me this advice by the way.

Barley water is very good for UTIs

Blog Entries
    Jo - I've only just caught up with this thread. so sorry that there are further complications. Dave had a couple of UTIs when in the community hospital. Antibiotics sorted them out but his dementia worsened whilst he had them.

There is some thought - as reported in the newspaper - that cranberry juice can be too acidic for the bladder so doesn't help as much as was thought but I drink it a lot to ward off cystitis to which I am prone, so it's a case of trial and error I suppose.You can buy prune juice in a carton which would save you having to make it yourself.

I hope your husband improves in health very soon and in mobility too, though it sounds as though he is progressing on that front.

Just another nag - are you sleeping lots? I do hope so, you need your stength as hospital visiting can be arduous as well as all the worry it brings. Rest while you can - tomorrow is another day!
    lots of sympathy and love XXX

Blog Entries
    Thank you everyone for you advice and kind words,

Today I just concentrated on fluids that hubby likes, decided against any new ones for him and went for quantity rather than quality! It worked and he had a very successful toilet visit this afternoon, stressful but successful was the name of the game.

So I'll see how he is tomorrow, he had a fall this morning but didn't do any damage, it's wait and see time around here although I suspect there are moves afoot to get him home asap with Easter holidays on the horizon, I need the right care package in place and equipment at home first though because we have so many stairs in the house and toilet/bedroom are on the first floor.

The UTI sample will take 'a few days', thank you Nebiroth for the sound information on the differences, hubby has been tested for prostate problems last year and was found to be clear, he is 61 so just coming into the age range where it can be a problem.

Saffie, I am trying to rest a bit although all the phone calls, washing, driving, visiting takes it's toll, it certainly is easier than the last six month or so of 24/7, my nights are only interupted by me waking to nothing to do! I am aware that I need to get myself together for getting hubby home or whatever is going to come next.

With many thanks and best wishes from Jo