Thread: Frustrated

Frustrated

It's been a terrible weekend. Mum's behaviour is becoming significantly worse. Her walking is staggered and she's stumbling. Her words are all muddled and so many things have gone missing ... eg. car keys.
    This morning she woke me up at 7.45am to tell me she couldn't get the porch door open. I told her to leave it for now (as a preventitive measure as much as anything). It's a simple task of pulling the lever up, she pulls it down each night. When I got up she'd left the house by the back door, leaving the back door unlocked but taking the only key for it with her.
    When she eventually came back she fell coming in the back door but insisted that she's fine. It's clear she's not good at all. I rang the hospital to check on the follow up CT scan only to be told that the person who gives the appointments only works 1 day a week (Tuesday) and to call back then. Not good enough.
    I've rung her GP and bringing her in later for an appointment. She has health insurance so think I'll insist on her going into hospital private now.
    I'm frustrated that I have to put up with this behaviour without a diagnosis. If I'd a diagnosis at least, I could begin to get help etc.

Blog Entries
    OOps posted twice

Quote Originally Posted by MISSJM View Post
    It's been a terrible weekend. Mum's behaviour is becoming significantly worse. Her walking is staggered and she's stumbling. Her words are all muddled and so many things have gone missing ... eg. car keys.
    This morning she woke me up at 7.45am to tell me she couldn't get the porch door open. I told her to leave it for now (as a preventitive measure as much as anything). It's a simple task of pulling the lever up, she pulls it down each night. When I got up she'd left the house by the back door, leaving the back door unlocked but taking the only key for it with her.
    When she eventually came back she fell coming in the back door but insisted that she's fine. It's clear she's not good at all. I rang the hospital to check on the follow up CT scan only to be told that the person who gives the appointments only works 1 day a week (Tuesday) and to call back then. Not good enough.
    I've rung her GP and bringing her in later for an appointment. She has health insurance so think I'll insist on her going into hospital private now.
    I'm frustrated that I have to put up with this behaviour without a diagnosis. If I'd a diagnosis at least, I could begin to get help etc.
    Last edited by SWMBO1950; 26-03-2012 at 01:50 PM.

Blog Entries
    Hello Miss MJ

Sorry to read you are having such problems. I would probably do the same again and go private if I need to. I know not everyone is in the position to get a private diagnosis (I did this in the beginning) and it can cause ill feeling but at the end of the day we each do what we have to do - right?

My advice regarding your mother going off/getting out when you are not aware is to do what my MIL started to do and that was lock the doors and keep the keys on you (if in bed maybe in a drawer or under your pillow).

Good luck with getting your diagnosis. Best Wishes

Quote Originally Posted by MISSJM View Post

Thank you SWMB.
    So I told Mum she was going to her GP earlier today. The appointment was for early evening. She kept stipulating that there was nothing wrong with her and I reminded her of her fall and that it was purely to ensure she was okay from that. Over tea time at 6pm I noticed she was making noises. Coughs and gurgitating noise which reminds me of noises when somebody is nervous which makes me think she has an incline that something's not right and supconciously she was upset.

She failed the GP visit drastically. She told him Dad is dead 4 years as opposed to 3 weeks. She told him she was at Brendan's grave yesterday who is my father's brother (who is still alive). Basically, she was talking in riddles and while I sat there very upset, deep down I was happy it was happening in front of the GP to the extent it was as I needed him to see it for himself.

He's calling the hospital who discharged her to see what's going on there and to get her back in or a quick appointment. Otherwise we're going private. She was due another appointment as an outpatient with the General hospital but I feel they're not being quick enough here. I told the GP I'm extremely concerned about her balance etc and do not want a situation where she has a bad fall. I think after what he experienced this evening, he will definitely be pushing for immediate diagnosis.