+ Post a comment

“A Most devastating Illness”

Being diagnosed at any age with Alzheimer’s or any other type of Dementia is devastating for both the person and their family when you’re suddenly and without warning faced with an entirely unwanted new way of life and the realization that nothing will be the same way for you again…

Obviously I can’t speck for other people who have been diagnosed, but when I was first told… it was as though a judge, without jury, had committed me to the death sentence… the only difference being in that for some people or criminals waiting on death row at least there is the chance of a stay of execution but with Alzheimer’s or any other type of dementia there is no such reprieve… although I’m sure we all say exactly the same thing in that (I’m not dying from dementia… I’m living with dementia) but the fact still remains that as of yet it’s an incurable illness and without any signs of a cure in the foreseeable future and an illness that still requires a great deal more understanding by the general public towards it’s ultimate consequences on the person, spouse and family…

Recently someone asked me ‘How would I best define Dementia’ to which I replied, it’s like an almighty Tsunami crashing on your once tranquil shores bringing with it all the weight of it’s devastation and leaving a trail of flotsam and jetsam behind it that our spouse has to cope with 24 hours a day during its course, and not only that as the distress continues for our spouse even after our demise…

Maybe you think that’s a strange analogy… but given the fact that to-date there are well over 26 million people worldwide that have some type of Alzheimer’s or Dementia with the numbers drastically increasing ‘year by year’ then it’s tuning into a worldwide Tsunami of which no country is unscathed… yet still so many people think our illness is just a matter of forgetting things “Which is not the case” as the list of daily problems we must fight against within our illness are never-ending such as the disorientation, obsessions, a sense of emptiness within body and mind, loneliness even though our spouse and family are with us, Sundowning which can have the most traumatic affect on a person with dementia, horrendous nightly nightmares that can have you screaming and limbs kicking out fighting to wake up thus causing your spouse to have many a restless night and possible become irritable (Not with you ‘but’ with the condition and lack of other peoples understanding) the list goes on and on…

But not only that, as our condition slowly deteriorates so does our bodies immune system become less resilient in fighting other unwanted illnesses that seem to follow along with Dementia like a plague such as influenza, phenomena, bladder infections, osteoarthritis and even cancer ‘to mention just a few’ which then adds even more uncertainties within our daily life and causes even more catastrophic distress to our spouse and family…

A cure for this terrible illness must be found, although maybe ‘Cure’ is the wrong word to use (better we say) “Eradicated” so that Alzheimer’s and dementia become part of the volumes of medical history only to be read by future generations… rather than having to experience...

“Yet” the pathway of life can be long! “YET” also sometimes short… so pray take heed of a now much wiser man who had never even considered the possibility of this illness and remember ‘You never know what’s round the next corner in life’ it might just be Alzheimer’s or some other type of Dementia waiting to creep up behind you as its next victim…

Barry

A victim of ‘Mixed Dementia’ Alzheimer’s, Vascular Dementia, and Parkinson’s disease…

(Alzheimer’s has become my mother of intent in broadening its awareness)

Name:  Dreams.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  56.2 KB
    Last edited by Barry; 22-03-2012 at 12:22 AM.
    Why don’t you join in my Baking group just follow this link
    http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/group.php?groupid=21

Barry

Lost within my own world of Mixed Dementia

Alzheimer's, Lewy Body dementia, and Parkinson's disease

http://www.facesofdementia.co.uk

Blog Entries
    Thank you Barry. Very thought provoking and a powerful message that I think needs wider exposure.

I can't put down in words what I want to really say in response to your post - I really wish I was as eloquent as you are.

Barry we are so lucky to have people like you who fight for Alzheimer's/Dementia awareness, and who give us carers insight into how it affects you.

Thank you
    xxxx
    To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone - Reba McEntire
    If only it was that easy - 2jays

Thank you

Many thank's for your kind words 2Jays
    Barry

Barry

Blog Entries
    Barry, your post brought tears to my eyes. I think I'm always concentrating on how my mam's illness is affecting my dad, me, and my family, and not always thinking about what it actually means for my mam. You have made me think about this, so thank you. Good luck with your campaign on behalf of us all. xx

Thank you

Hi CollegeGirl
    Many thanks for your kind reply sorry about your mam
    Best wishes
    Barry

Barry