+ Post a comment
    Blog Entries

Not News to Many Here on TP

The standards of care provided to the elderly in their home in the UK has been labelled "shocking and disgraceful" by the consumer group Which?

www.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/news/health-17389588 >

Cut and paste the above link or the story is on BBC News today

Blog Entries
    Goodness me!!! Care not up to basic standards!!!! What shocking reading!!!

HUH all well and good reporting on it WHEN is it going change? - cost cutting causing it? - carers don't get paid enough in the first place so (it seems in our case) you don't always get people who want to do the job, just people who want to supplement their benefits.
    To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone - Reba McEntire
    If only it was that easy - 2jays

And this is news because.......?!

Brilliant idea to keep the elderly in their own homes.....but of course as with all vote gaining political ideas they actually don't follow it up with how its going to be done!!

and then shock horror......it doesn't necessarily work!!

For me the problem is that the care providers we came across with MIL were ill-trained, didn't match the criteria of "carers"......it was a job and a very poorly paid one. This should be a skilled and caring profession with pay which matches the level of care needed to be provided on an INDIVIDUAL basis. Not all the elderly require the same level of care, so match the carer to the job and pay accordingly.

Many jobs are paid the basic minimum wage i.e. people who stack trollies in supermarkets etc - and I do not belittle any job for anyone on the minimum wage, but when that job involves caring for vulnerable and often very needy people, then the wage should meet the demands and job description.

If you do not pay according to needs, then there are far too many reasons for people "just doing a job" not to do it properly or equally dreadfully to rip off, as in MIL's case, the people they are supposed to be caring for (and often who are paying for it).

Come on politicians, get your heads out of your bums and wake up to reality and do something about it rather than pay lip service!

To anyone who relys on care companys to care for their parent or relative this mornings headline will not have come as some great shock.When will someone change the culture of shoddy often negligent care offered to our frail and elderly. I know that carers are poorly paid but they are human beings who should be first and formost treating our relatives with respect and dignity.I also know that these carers are hindered in their work by poor managment and profit making targets. We all need to stand up to these companys and not accept the standard of care they provide.We need to speak out for those that can't.

I think this quote from the Which report sums it up

'The Government can no longer claim to be shocked as report after report highlights the pitiful state of care for older people.’
    'If they are serious about ensuring vulnerable people are treated with dignity, then we must see real action because every day they delay is another day older people risk being neglected.'

Though to be fair to Home Carers my wife was looked after by Carers who were wonderful They were part of the Council,s direct labour staff and were encouraged to qualify, so they are not all bad
    jimbo 111

Blog Entries

My husband was also looked after by wonderful carers.

I suspect this report probably affects more people who live alone, who have no one to supervise and check they are getting the care they need, who are even more vulnerable.

It makes it a bigger disgrace.

Sylvia
    Carer and Member of the Volunteer Moderation Team

I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet

About me

Blog Entries
    I knew it would certainly not be a surprise to anyone who frequents this forum.

Yes I would have to say my Mum's carers are very good. She has the same 3 people on rotation and it works very well and she is happy - which is the main thing. She is self funding so not SS involvement.

This agency comes on the back of a terrible one I used for a 2 week holiday and it was deplorable.

My concern is for those who do not have watchful daughters (or other relatives) on hand to make sure things are being done.

As I said in a post earlier this wee we treat (for the most part) animals better than our elderly.

Why is there never good uplifting news? It would be more constructive if these researchers would either give examples of best practices or how to attain them.

With reports like that, is it any wonder that loved ones are scared of being 'put away' or having strangers in their homes? Having been on the long carer's journey, like everybody else here, we don't need to be told time and again how unfit for purpose the system is. Action is long overdue, words serve little purpose, but to scare the elderly.

Angry ....'steam'......boot on other foot!

As much as it is with 'good intention' this is reported; it damn well annoys me! For the people writing the article, for the people reporting the article and for the people who are on the 'I'm alright jack - this is a story' . Let them try to do the work that us 'carers' do. Let them stand where we are. Let them see the heartbreak and decision making as 'easy'. Let them be the ones who step into our world of caring and see how the "cap fits!" come and 'DO THE WORK WE DO!' and be UNPAID! See how far you get!

Quick to run us carers down; quick to jump to the conclusion of 'Elders care not met by carers' well for the people getting paid to write, report and edit a story then do some research in the reality of 'caring for people with dementia' and see how YOU FIND IT! The constant worry, the heartbreak, the arguments. It is a job we get no thanks for only from others that do the same; who understand the situation.

Yes there is people out there that 'don't give a damn!' but when you are caring for loved one/s, may it be family or 'whoever' it is impossible to cover EVERY ASPECT of a situation that occurs, is probable or is 'current'. You have to rely upon 'outside/other agency' help. If you didn't you would lose SANITY!

For all the carers who do the work ''JOB WELL DONE!" unpaid or otherwise.
    'It is not about what you do in life that matters - It's about who you are!'

Another article (Mature Times) that tells the same story
    Apart from a bloody revolution how can we make those idiots **************
    see that what they are ignoring and neglecting to do now is what their future holds for them
    It is a truism that as you get older you look back and say .'If Only'
    and I know the truth of this
    On a lighter side. I can well remember my father telling my mother " if that boy doesn't wear his vest he will suffer for it in his old age"
    Now at 82 with a back that gives me chronic pain
    ( but it's too late to tell my dad he was right)
    jimbo 111

“End the care crisis now”, over two-thirds of English MPs told by older and disabled campaigners

Wednesday, 07 March 2012
    Nearly a thousand older and disabled people travelled from around the country, and as far as Newcastle and Cornwall with a clear message for their MPs: The social care system is in deep crisis, and this will continue to worsen unless the Government acts now.

Paul Burstow, the Care Services Minister, held a live Q&A with older and disabled people at the mass lobby, and said that he was hopeful for how the forthcoming white paper on social care would be received. “We have spent a good deal of time thinking about these issues and reflecting on them. But the challenge is going to be translating from the legislation into effective changes on the ground.”

Actor and TV Presenter, Tony Robinson, Alzheimer's Society Ambassador who joined the campaigners in lobbying his MP said: "It is an undeniable fact that the social care system is in crisis. Millions of people are being forced to pay huge amounts for care which all too often doesn’t even meet their most basic needs.

"The Care and Support Alliance lobby shows how passionate people are about the need for change. Their voices have to be listened to. We can’t afford to miss this opportunity of a lifetime to create a fair and sustainable care system which delivers dignity, independence and peace of mind for those who need it."

Liz Kendall MP, Shadow Minister for Care and Older People, who met older and disabled campaigners today said: "This lobby couldn't come at a more important time. The Health & Social Care Bill is still being discussed in Parliament and cross party talks on social care funding are underway.

"Reforming the care system is a top priority for the Labour Party and it should be a top priority for the Government too.

This event is a real inspiration to me as I am sure it will be to all other MPs who came along today."

Susan Carter from Age UK Darlington said “It is crucially important for us to attend today to highlight dignity and respect for older people and their care in the future. Meeting our local MP was hugely beneficial; we hope to see some changes in Darlington soon.”

Janet Brown (47), a deaf blind woman and campaigner for the charity Sense, said: "I got up at 5am this morning and travelled from Manchester because I am so worried about the future of social care. I am both deaf and blind, so I need support to do a lot things including leaving my home which is impossible otherwise. This makes me feel very depressed."

Today’s mass lobby of Parliament was organised by the Care & Support Alliance which represents over 60 charities and organisations across the social care and health sector. The Alliance argues that chronic underfunding of social care combined with rapidly growing demand for care and cuts to local government budgets have left the system in crisis.

Nearly a thousand older and disabled people and carers travelled to Parliament from across the country to tell their personal experiences of trying to access support. MPs heard stories from some of the estimated 800,000 older people who need care but are receiving none; disabled people unable to access enough support to live independently; families paying huge care bills for basic care and carers pushed to breaking point caring for loved ones round the clock.

The event also involved the world’s first Twobby (online lobby) – as hundreds more older and disabled people and family members who were unable to attend in-person participated in the online, tweeting questions and stories to their MPs.

The Care & Support Alliance has warned the Government not to kick big decisions on the future of social care into the long grass and yesterday wrote an open letter to Andrew Lansley, Secretary of State for Health, published in the Guardian calling on the Government to seize the opportunity for lasting reform. The Alliance is calling for structural reform of the outdated social care system, sustainable additional funding and certainty for individuals through the introduction of national eligibility criteria and a cap on care costs.

Another disgrace
    Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value" Albert Einstein