+ Post a comment
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries

RCN Report - care homes struggling to meet needs of elderly people

Persistent challenges to providing quality care

An RCN report on the views and experiences of frontline nursing staff in care homes in England

Dr Peter Carter (RCN general secretary) said the findings are 'hugely concerning' and show the challenges faced by care home staff.

He added: 'Many of these challenges are not new, but following years of underinvestment these issues have now significantly worsened. When nearly two in five nurses say there are not enough nurses to meet the needs of residents, then you know that this is a worrying state of affairs.

'Even nurses who were positive about the quality of care felt it was delivered despite significant challenges.'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...elderly-people

The RCN Report:

http://www.rcn.org.uk/__data/assets/...ty_care_v5.pdf

Worrying reports like this seem to be hitting the newspapers everyday
    but no progress seems to be made

This report yesterday by the CeO of BUPA again shows the worrying signs of a further
    decline in the future of care homes and the catastrophic consequences to those
    in care, and their families

"King has previously warned about a haemorrhage of investment in Britain’s care homes and said yesterday: ‘The business is concerned that a “burning platform” is developing in residential aged care.
    ‘If local authorities do not pay fairer fees, there will be a lack of investment in the sector which will ultimately jeopardise the quality of care and lead to a contraction in the overall care homes market and a potential bed-blocking crisis for the NHS.’"

Shall we never learn??????????
    jimbo 111

Ps Nice to see you back JPG
    jimbo

Blog Entries
    I am sorry to say this does not surprise me. In general (not always) we treat animals better than our elderly and vulnerable.

With the aging population (of which I am one) unless there is a serious overhall of the system I can only see it getting worse

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo 111 View Post
    Worrying reports like this seem to be hitting the newspapers everyday
    but no progress seems to be made

This report yesterday by the CeO of BUPA again shows the worrying signs of a further
    decline in the future of care homes and the catastrophic consequences to those
    in care, and their families

"King has previously warned about a haemorrhage of investment in Britain’s care homes and said yesterday: ‘The business is concerned that a “burning platform” is developing in residential aged care.
    ‘If local authorities do not pay fairer fees, there will be a lack of investment in the sector which will ultimately jeopardise the quality of care and lead to a contraction in the overall care homes market and a potential bed-blocking crisis for the NHS.’"

Shall we never learn??????????
    jimbo 111

Ps Nice to see you back JPG
    jimbo

So good to see you back JPG. I've very much missed your eagle eyes spotting current news about our care system. I know that it is very important that we carers keep ourselves abreast of the myriad of pronouncements.

Sadly none of them seem to result in actual improvements to our care system. I'm so tired of hearing yet again:

Burstow said: "We're making the system more joined up with health and focusing on helping people maintain their independence for as long as possible

All lauditory ideals which never seem to be put into practice. And what about improving the lives of those people who can no longer live an independant life? So many people falling through loopholes in the system every day.

xxTinaT
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for everything....