Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dementia clocks

Question Dementia clocks

Hi everyone wondering if anyone can help me. Im looking for a clock for my gran who has alzeimers. she seems to be unaware of what time of day it is, and now that its getting lighter in the morning she is getting up earlier and calling people. she cant read a hand clock anymore therefor eim looking for a digital clock that states that its day or night. i have had a look on- line bout all the ones i can see that tell you if its day or night have hands not digital. anyone know of anywhere i could get such a thing?

Thanks for your help Cisco xx

Blog Entries
    Not sure about clocks but I got my mum talking clocks and watches from the RNIB - Blind Society - her phone bill was nearly 100 per bill just on ringing 123 for the time!!

We got one for mum from the CPN and I think that came from the Alzheimers society. We didnt have to pay for it either, it's just a loan.

Unfortunately it made no difference at all. Her time issues have gotten worse and nothing helps. Wish I could tell you something more positive.

Asked a similar, but not quite the same question a while back. The replies I received along with a lot of photographs of different clocks is in the link below.

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showt...ht=%2Aclock%2A

Sad to say, but like JackMac said above, none of them would be of any use to my mum.
    Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value" Albert Einstein

I think it's a common experience that once someone with dementia loses their ability to tell the time, no amount of clocks or reminders or anything else helps.

The logical side of us says that the solution is to make things simpler, then they will understand. But they don't, no matter how much you simplify things.

And in fact, changing the sort of clock to a different one is probably just going to cause even more confusion, not less. It doesn't matter if the new one is clearer or easier.

With my dad once his ability to tell time was gone, it was gone, and no amount of clocks, calendars, reminders or anything else worked.

Like you, one of the most difficult aspects was the changes in daylight. I also suspect that confusing mornings and evenings will start to become a problem. That can be made much worse if "sundowning" starts, which is a period of increased agitation and/or confusion some with dementia suffer from in (as the name suggests) the late afternoon.

You will also probably find that your gran will have a fixed belief about what time she thinks it is, and will disbelieve any evidence to the contrary

My dad went through a phase of confusing evenings with mornings, and any attempt to tell him otherwise was met with "the clocks are all wrong, they are on American time"

I can sympathise - this very day I've had to put up heavier curtains with "light-block" lining in our bedroom! Every year William would wake at the first streak of daylight and get up. This year, he isn't safe to allow up on his own, and of course as you say, it's getting light earlier and earlier this time of year! Yesterday and this morning, he was awake around 6 agitating to get up and although I explained that it wasn't time yet to get up, and he stayed in bed until I got up, I could tell he couldn't understand why we weren't up, when it was "daytime"! I'm hoping the darker bedroom will make a difference. He too is losing the ability to tell the time - oddly, as the day wears on, he gets a bit better at it and by early evening, he can seem to read a clock quite well. In the mornings though, he can't seem to read a clock at all.

Would heavier curtains help your gran - or a blackout blind behind her curtains? It would keep her bedroom darker for longer.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyA View Post
    I can sympathise - this very day I've had to put up heavier curtains with "light-block" lining in our bedroom! Every year William would wake at the first streak of daylight and get up. This year, he isn't safe to allow up on his own, and of course as you say, it's getting light earlier and earlier this time of year! Yesterday and this morning, he was awake around 6 agitating to get up and although I explained that it wasn't time yet to get up, and he stayed in bed until I got up, I could tell he couldn't understand why we weren't up, when it was "daytime"! I'm hoping the darker bedroom will make a difference. He too is losing the ability to tell the time - oddly, as the day wears on, he gets a bit better at it and by early evening, he can seem to read a clock quite well. In the mornings though, he can't seem to read a clock at all.

Would heavier curtains help your gran - or a blackout blind behind her curtains? It would keep her bedroom darker for longer.
    A personal thanks for this info.

Sometimes solutions are staring at us but can't see the wood for the trees.

Great idea
    Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value" Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by cisco View Post
    Hi everyone wondering if anyone can help me. Im looking for a clock for my gran who has alzeimers. she seems to be unaware of what time of day it is, and now that its getting lighter in the morning she is getting up earlier and calling people. she cant read a hand clock anymore therefor eim looking for a digital clock that states that its day or night. i have had a look on- line bout all the ones i can see that tell you if its day or night have hands not digital. anyone know of anywhere i could get such a thing?

Thanks for your help Cisco xx
    Apologies in advance for pessimism, but honestly, even if you can find one that seems suitable, I would save your money. Very likely she won't remember to look at it. There comes a time when all the nice sensible things that should work, don't. It doesn't matter how you try to help, it doesn't matter how logical and carefully thought out it is, they go on doing whatever their poor upset old brains are telling them to do.

My brother bought an expensive radio-controlled clock for my mother - day, date and time - it even updated itself when the clocks changed.
    Did she ever remember to look at it? Did she b*ggery. Still taking herself to bed at 5 or 6 pm, depths of winter and height of summer alike (whereas she used to be up till midnight) , and wandering around half the night.

YESSS! It's 8.03a.m. and William is only getting up now! Ha ha! A small triumph (and probably only temporary) - but still a triumph! Ha ha! Gloat! Take that in the eye, Dementia! *poke*

Blog Entries
    Good news - let's face it you can cope with most things on the back of a decent sleep!!

Quote Originally Posted by LadyA View Post
    YESSS! It's 8.03a.m. and William is only getting up now! Ha ha! A small triumph (and probably only temporary) - but still a triumph! Ha ha! Gloat! Take that in the eye, Dementia! *poke*

Lady A, Love it!! Going back to the clock, my dad could never fathom that there were two of every hour on the clock i.e. 7AM and 7PM i tried to explain the 24 hour thing to no avail. One day he screamed at me, "ive had that clock for 30 years and its always only had one 7 on it", you (meaning me) are talking sh..e. Theres no answer to that!

Thanks everyone for ur replies. i realise it mite not make any change to her however i am a geriatric nurse and we have just spend a fortune getting dementia clocks in our ward and for some it does help, although they r hand clocks so they are no use for my gran but they do work for some. the blackout curtains maybe a good idea thank you i will pass that on to my mum. Lady A I hope things get better for you.

Cisco xx

Digital clocks showing day/night

Quote Originally Posted by cisco View Post
    looking for a digital clock that states that its day or night ... all the ones i can see that tell you if its day or night have hands not digital.
    If a normal digital display (showing 24-hour clock or am/pm indication) isn't enough, there are a few (very few) possibilities. e.g. :

sometimes available from the Alzheimer's Society online store
    http://shop.alzheimers.org.uk/catego...iving-products
    or maybe from alzproducts.co.uk.

There are nightlights designed for children that could possibly be useful for day/night indication:

You set them to show 'day' or 'night' at the times you choose.

This flip clock, though it has an analog time display, indicates day/night in text and colour:

"It changes to morning at 7am, and night at 7pm. Other time settings can be set at the factory before dispatch on your request."

See also this previous thread:
    http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showt...ay-date-or-not
    Last edited by nmintueo; 12-03-2012 at 01:08 PM.

Thank you nmintueo for ur post some of these maybe options i appreciate ur time.

Cisco xx

My husband can now no longer tell the time and even if I tell him I don't think it means anything to him any more. Sometimes he wants to get up during the night even if it is dark, because he no longer understands the difference between night and day. And there are times when he wants to go to bed during the day. he never stays there very long though as he won't go to sleep unless I am there (night or day).
    Life is what happens to you. While you're busy making other plans - John Lennon