+ Post a comment
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Do older posts get "wiped off"?

Went to look for an early post of mine (one when Tina came to visit) but could not get back beyond June of last year. Does that mean that all earlier posts have been removed from the system? I got back to "page 20 of 20" and there didn't seem any way to access earlier ones.

Would be glad to know. Many thanks,
    Nan

FWIW just tried for other users, all stop at 20 pages max

I don`t know Nan but I hope someone will.

Subscribed posts go back to the beginning. I am subscribed to Life in the day and it goes back to page one in 2007 and the first post.

Sylvia

Former Carer and Volunteer Moderator .

I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet

About me

If I do Grannie G|Profile|View posts it goes to 2/2/12 on page 14

But I have subscribed to certain Threads and they go back to the first post .

eg. I have subscribed to the Thread Compassionate Communication and it goes back to 24/1/11.

Sylvia

Former Carer and Volunteer Moderator .

I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet

About me

Hello Nan

I wonder if you did a search on your posts, with 'Tina' as the search word, it might find the post you are looking for.

x

Blog Entries
    Thank you for all of these replies.
    (What does FWIW stand for, please?)
    Could not see how to search only my own posts. The search I did seemed to cover all posts on the forum.
    I take your point about subscribed threads, Sylvia. Perhaps the only way I can find my own posts prior to June 2011 is by scrolling back through the thread I might think they're on.
    Seems very hit and miss.
    I thought the whole point about a Profile and "See all posts" etc. was so one could go back without having to search the entire forum.
    Is nitram correct? Twenty pages maximum?

Hi Nan2Seven

Sometimes it is helpful to 'tweak' the search function to make it easier to find specific things.

If you're looking for a very old post that you made on a specific topic, then click on 'Advanced Search', go to 'Search Single Content Type', make sure Posts is selected at the top, put a keyword in (a word that was in the post you are looking for), then add your Username and click exact user, in Find Posts choose Any date, then show results as Posts.

Hope this helps

PS I think FWIW is internetspeak: For What It's Worth
    Serena

Online Community Coordinator

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SerenaS View Post

Sometimes it is helpful to 'tweak' the search function to make it easier to find specific things.

If you're looking for a very old post that you made on a specific topic, then click on 'Advanced Search', go to 'Search Single Content Type', make sure Posts is selected at the top, put a keyword in (a word that was in the post you are looking for), then add your Username and click exact user, in Find Posts choose Any date, then show results as Posts.

PS I think FWIW is internetspeak: For What It's Worth
    FWIW, IMHO I think the search engine on this site is extremely complicated and laborious to use, especially when your brain is in a fug and you are trying to find something quickly.

There is an A-Z of terms which IMHO is incomplete even for the basic information like looking something to do with LPA.(that one may be there, but it's just an example) Can there not be 2 types of search function one for posts and one for fact sheets etc (a lot of work setting it up I do appreciate)
    To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone - Reba McEntire
    If only it was that easy - 2jays

Hi 2 jays

One of our members (PamD) has put together a list of abbreviations. Members can add suggestions to this list to adding a reply to the thread here

The search function on Talking Point follows the specific forum software (called vBulletin). The factsheets are on Alzheimer's Society website (not on Talking Point), and the website has its own search function which isn't part of Talking Point.

Hope this helps. If you have any comments about the search function on Talking Point, you can PM me or email talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk
    Serena

Blog Entries
    I have just checked and am pleased to see that all of the Threads started by me go back to the year dot - well, April 2009.

Presumably it is just the random posts on my own and others' threads that get cut off at a maximum of 20 pages.

My thanks to you all for your help and suggestions.

Love, Nan XXX

Experimentally (and it may be documented somewhere), it seems that 'Find all posts' and 'View Forum Posts' are limited to 20 pages of search results.

As you found, though, older posts are still there, and you may be able to find them using 'Advanced Search'.

In your case (as you found) there are posts going back to your join date of 11-04-2009.

I don't know if there's a policy of deleting posts over an age limit or a quota limit - couldn't find that information in the help.

Blog Entries
    Thank you, nmintueo.

Serena, could you answer that one, please? Is there in fact a time limit and/or a quota limit relating to posts?

Thanks in advance,
    Nan

Quote Originally Posted by Nan2seven View Post
    Thank you, nmintueo.

Serena, could you answer that one, please? Is there in fact a time limit and/or a quota limit relating to posts?

Thanks in advance,
    Nan
    Hello Nan2Seven

I've checked our settings and the search function will produce a maximum of 500 results, displayed at 25 posts/threads per page.

Hope that helps explain why if you were looking for your posts (and there are more than 500 of them) that you can't see them all using the search function. That's why limiting the results using keyword, date etc can help find the needle in the haystack.

Hope that helps

Serena
    Serena

Blog Entries
    Thank you, Serena.
    I must master the searching technique.
    Nan XXX