Testing for dementia

Hello,
    I am seaking guidance and more info regarding gene testing for early onset dementia, my mother was diagnosed at 50 and often I worry if Because she was diagnosed so young would the same thing happen to me?
    Does any one else ever think about this? Is there any one I could talk to professionally about it? I don't even know if it is something I should even worry about

I miss my mum every day, 10years since her diagnosis

Hello Joygrrr
    My mum was also diagnosed very young and also my 2 aunties and my grandfather, due to the trend my mum and Aunt had gene testing and a gene was found, I have been offered gene testing but have declined because i dont think i could live with the result, as you know it's scarry enough not knowing and i'm scared that i couldnt live with a positive result. If you are interested in Gene testing then go to your GP and ask them to reffer you to a local genetics counsellor in your area, you will have to have quiet alot of councilling but they can guide you in the right direction, there are also aot of study trails into eraly onset dementia if your interested, i take part in a few as i feel i have to do something positive for my family. Good luck in whatever you chose Jo.

Hi

The link below points to a document on this site that may help.

http://alzheimers.org.uk/site/script...documentID=168

Regards x x x
    Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value" Albert Einstein

You can ask for genetic testing via your GP. However, it is advisable to ask about genetic counselling first. In this a professional will guide you through the testing process, making sure you wish to proceed and making sure you are aware of the effects and consequences if a problem is found (or otherwise).

At the moment, there is no known medical treatment that can prevent or delay the onset, or to cure it once it has begun. The best that is advised is to reduce the lifestyle risk factors.

It is, of course, entirely personal choice as to whether you wish to know about an inherited disposition or otherwise. Some would prefer not to know, because there is nothing that can be done (apart from making practical arrangements in preparation, should the worst happen). On the other hand, others may find the unknown more worrying and feel better knowing one way or the other.

Hi, my family also has had several generations of dementia effecting every woman. I will not be having a genetic test as I believe it is inevitable. I have found GPs to be very anti testing. Think very carefully of how any result will have a positive effect for you. Personally I think it's best to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Tomorrow could bring anything so sieze today.