Personal hygiene

Mums in her nineties and pretty set in her ways and with the help of a career likes to do a full body wash at the bathroom sink. She has a pink flannel for face and a blue flannel for body. Recently she seems more prone to eye infections and urinary tract infections and we,ve noticed the face flannel on top of the body flannel and when she's been on a course of antibiotics the body flannel can get badly soiled so this no longer seems a hygienic option.
    I don't think that she'll like moist wipes because she's so used to a flannel so I'm looking for a dry wipe to replace the body flannel but one that isn't paper thin.
    I've looked on the internet for dry wipes and found products like conti wash cloths, hi zorb washcloths etc which claim to be reasonably absorbent, has anyone purchased these or knows of something disposable to replace a flannel as the postage for these products costs nearly as much as much as the wipes.

Could you not get some old towels and cut them up into flannel sized squares. Then get a nice bucket and put some napisan and water in it and tell her to put the flannel in the bucket after she is finished. You can make big piles of flannels and then wash them once a week perhaps?

Fiona

Wipes

Quote Originally Posted by lindi View Post
    Mums in her nineties and pretty set in her ways and with the help of a career likes to do a full body wash at the bathroom sink. She has a pink flannel for face and a blue flannel for body. Recently she seems more prone to eye infections and urinary tract infections and we,ve noticed the face flannel on top of the body flannel and when she's been on a course of antibiotics the body flannel can get badly soiled so this no longer seems a hygienic option.
    I don't think that she'll like moist wipes because she's so used to a flannel so I'm looking for a dry wipe to replace the body flannel but one that isn't paper thin.
    I've looked on the internet for dry wipes and found products like conti wash cloths, hi zorb washcloths etc which claim to be reasonably absorbent, has anyone purchased these or knows of something disposable to replace a flannel as the postage for these products costs nearly as much as much as the wipes.
    Hi there,

I currently work in a care home and we currently use some dry wipes to clean and freshen up the residents these wipes can be purchased from:

http://www.carehomeproductsdirect.co...nti-r-25-p.asp

Hope this helps

Kayleigh xxx

My feeling is that you'd do better to encourage use of clean flannels each time (good luck with that!) because I suspect she won't take to using wipes. She would just rinse them out and re-use them wouldn't she? Sorry, to be a pessimist, but old people are very set in their ways. I bought a stack of nice new flannels for MIL last summer as her old ones were practically bald. I left 2 old ones in the cupboard, and guess what, these are the ONLY ones she uses because the new ones "aren't mine".

I would think a more acceptable solution would be to get lots of the same coloured flannels and then discreetly sterilise them regularly. The carer could so the same.

Milton Fluid or tablets are extremely effective - designed to be used with babies and without any need to rinse so it's extremely safe, unlike bleach or disinfectant.

Alternatively, you could simply take the flannels and put them in boiling water for 10 minutes or so

Either of these techniques will effectively kill anything harmful. Remember the Milton fluid become sinactive after 24 hours so you need to make up a fresh solution at that time

Personal hygiene

Thank you for all your comments, I think at this point in time I'll persevere with flannels changed daily and use a solution of Milton or napisan to give me the peace of mind that they will at least be nice and clean as mum seems more prone to infections just lately. Ideally I would like mum to use diposable wipes but I think it would be an uphill battle because she is so use to the texture and thickness of a proper flannel I don't think she would feel properly clean using paper wipes. I think she may be searching round for her old flannels so im not sure it would achieve much, so I'll give the milton a try.