Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

yet another mental health unit to find

Hi all, hope you are all well. Finally dad has to leave the care home that he is in.

Basically long story cut short. He flipped again yesterday, hit a care worker in the side, ran around with a fire extinguisher saying that there was a fire and they could either die by fire or die by his hand

Then went into the hallway broke a picture frame with glass and was trying to attack people with that. It took three police officers to calm him down

I got there just as it was all finishing off and was still there in the late hours. The poor CH manager was beating her head against a brick wall trying to get the EDT Team out to assess dad as the police were saying that he needed to be sectioned and was at risk not to just him self but to other residents.

I agree with her and we should never of put him there in the first place, but it's done.

Had a meeting this morning with the outreach team and they are now saying they think that a care home will not be able to cope with him and he will end up in a mental health unit.

I said to them in the meeting that it is now their decision and it has to be taken out of my hands. Of course I will work with them and go with dad to whatever place he is going to end up and settle him in (that will be fun ) but I am no way putting him in my car and driving him there.

Anyway just waiting for the meeting to finish and wait to hear his fate
    carer on the sideline but never far away

Blog Entries
    I am so sorry to hear this
    I cant begin to imagine how you must be feeling
    Lin

Daughter and former carer

If only I could have Hindsight beforehand, oh what a difference it would make .

Odd words,mis-spelling and punctuation are most likely due to my clever phone, it seems to have its own ideas about what I am trying to say, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it lol

Blog Entries
    stick to your guns. Of course you cannot take him anywhere. He is clearly very ill. He needs to be hospitalised, assessed and treated. Don't be afraid of calling 999 if it comes to it. That is what we've had to do with my mum in the past. (It is better to ask for ambulance because they will then get the police if necessary)
    Last edited by Butter; 20-02-2012 at 12:31 PM.

butter, after the police left a ambulance was called but they were not allowed to take him anywhere because he was asleep and calm (after two sedatives).

anyway this will make you laugh, after the meeting I have come home (CH is only five mins away) waiting for the decision and the care home have just rang me and said

Could you please come back your dad has taken all his clothes off and is walking around naked and we need you to dress him

Are they on a wind up or something, I told her that if it was my mum yes of course I would but it is my dad and in the nicest possible way this is actually your job.

can see what sort of day I am about to have

Blog Entries
    the CH should call the GP? not you

If there professionals can't cope with him then you shouldn't even be asked to help and certainly not in a moving car!

He needs to be sectioned as he can't go on like this. Its only medication that made him so quiet before.

I really hope the sytem kicks in and he goes where he needs to go to be safe, both for himself and for others.

Edited after your post.

How long with the sedation last? I would refuse to move him until he has been assessed.

Lemony xx

When life gives you lemons make lemonade.

sorry obviously not explained the whole thing.

CH rang police, ambulance, EDT Team, doctor, last night.

Police were there with me for five hours
    EDT would not come out
    Doctor arrived at 2am and said that he needed to be seen by outreach team
    IOT arrived this morning, had a meeting with them they have now gone back to their office to discuss dad and where we are to go next.
    CH manager was brilliant but she banged her head against the wall for hours, believe me I was there watching it was painfully so and so bloody frustrating you would not believe it

Anyway, CH just rang me again and said they have dressed him but now I need to go pack his things etc

each sedation lasts about four to five hours that is why he has to be sedated again after midnight or so otherwise about four in the morning he wakes up and then the whole care home is awake

One poor lady found him sitting on the floor by her bed the other morning holding her hand and he was asking her if she was ready to die

I have to think of their safety as well as my dads I am trying not to sound heartless but mental health is where he has to go next. He has not just got alz I am sure he is mentally is as well

Blog Entries
    For goodness sake, fancy phoning you to get him dressed, words fail me

Well done for keeping it polite

Lin x

God what a mess. What happens if you get there to pack him up and the team have not arranged where to put him? Do you have to stay with him and you are NOT to be alone with him. Heaven only knows what he will do.

They have to arrange for an ambulance to move him where ever that might be.

Lemony xx

elle I kept it polite only because they did not see the faces and the hand gesture's that were going on from my end

brick wall, head banging spings to mind every time I deal with the "system"

Lemony, as far as the CH Manager is concerned dad is out of there today by hook or by crook and she is adamant (i agree with her). I have told them that there is no way he is getting in my car because his mood changes from split second to second and he is much stronger than me

I am going to stand my ground but I will work with them "the system" as I now like to call them but how blinkin frustrating is the whole thing. Its enough to drive yourself into a care home

Blog Entries
    You could refuse to go to the CH. Not because you do not love your Dad but because you do and he needs more help than you (or the CH) can possibly give him.

Have they still not rung? Perhaps they are having lunch due to a stressful day.

Lemony xx

Hi susanne,im so sorry you are having to go threw that but snap im on the same route with my dad,i tryed so hard to find a place that dad would be ok and settle into and could cope with his needs but here we are again hes on a week extra to see how his meds can be changed, then off to a mental unit if doesnt work.im so frustrated with the lack off comunication from the home and social, cpn and doctors.feel like im bangin my head to be honest.frustrated isnt the word xx