Blog Entries

How easy is it to move a dementia sufferer from one country in GB to another?

Hi

Put this on the end of another post but it was a bit confused.....wonder if anyone has any ideas??

My dad is in hospital in Lincolnshire; he has been there for nearly 4 weeks and they would like to move him on to a care home. I think he will get CHC funding; at least that is what the social worker thinks. However I would like him close to me here in North Wales. Do care homes in different areas accept CHC funding; would we have the ability to top up if they were more expensive? The social worker seems to think a transfer is possible but I am not sure of the logistics for example do I find the home for Lincolnshire? This has all happened so quickly and it all seems so complicated with red tape....so does anyone who has any experience of this kind of thing please?

Thanks as always for any advice

Kind regards

Sally

We moved MIL from one county into another. The SW looked to place her in a home near where she lived but we found her one up the road from us. There was no problem at all with doing this and the hospital transferred her by ambulance.

Doubtless the SW would find a home in Lincolnshire but if that is not what you want you must inform them.

Although MIL did not qualify for CHC (Lord alone knows why), she did qualify for the Nursing benefit and this was merely paid direct to the Home - wherever that Home would have been.

CHC is a national funding from the NHS and in principal you should have no problem at all as the criteria should be the same wherever it is awarded (although in reality it is a postcode lottery) so if he does receive it he has met those criteria wherever it was awarded. However, bear in mind the SW considered my MIL would get it without any problem but she was turned down, nothing is set in stone until you have the letter confirming he has been awarded it.

CHC or not, or if he receives the lesser nursing benefit, neither should affect where the Care Home is.

Please also do not panic - they cannot release him from hospital without an adequate care home set up, so if you want him moved closer to you, then you must tell the SW and you should try to find a care home that you like asap and discuss it with them.

However, having said about guidelines for discharge, it is important to keep your SW in the loop and make it clear what you are doing and that your Dad cannot be released until you have found a home nearer to you. Otherwise they are pretty clever at making arrangements and telling you when those have been made particularly as once the hospital has decided to release a patient, the financial clock is ticking to get the patient out.

MIL's SW told us on a Monday morning that she was being moved to a CH that day and we made it quite clear she should tell the hospital it was not going to happen as we had not approved that move nor the Home.....so she remained in hospital until we arranged the home near us. Be quite firm and stick to your guns.

Blog Entries
    Thank you that sounds like some very good advice....The care home near us is an MHA one and seems very nice.....I just hope that they would accept CHC

Best wishes

Sally

Just a few things for you to consider which is what we encountered when we moved my mother from Scotland to England:

1. The primary care trust where your dad resides now continues to have overall duty of care responsibility for him even if he moves to another county. For this reason, you have to get their agreement to whatever home you cite as your preference and they will be entitled to go carry out an assessment of the home prior to him being allowed to move. The SW will require regular updates from you about your dad's care to make sure that they are still meeting their duty of care obligations.

2. You might find that you are asked to find and elect 3 preferences for homes and to rank them accordingly. If they are keen to discharge your dad then they might move him to preference 2 if there are no beds in preference 1. You are still however able to move him to preference 1 as and when he comes to the top of their waiting list.

3. As CHC is NHS funded, would it be possible to have him assessed and the CHC awarded before he is moved into the care home? If not, then you might be required to pay for the home until such time as CHC is awarded. Any monies paid should be refunded back to the date he entered the home.

4. Consider the logistics of the move itself. You will probably find that the SW will not fund transport if it goes outside the county. We had to arrange a private ambulance to transfer my mother - at a cost of £800. Sounds expensive but we think it was worth the money and she was well cared for and entertained on the journey.

5. You mention top up fees, these might become payable if, say, the primary care trust consider that they could deliver CHC at a cheaper price at another home in the area which you have chosen. Please research top up fees carefully and don't undertake to pay them unless you have to. Please also be aware that what starts off as a few £££'s a week can quickly escalate to £hundreds per week as you are left open to the mercies of the care home who can increase their charges at will quite frankly. You need to ask what their methodology is for increasing their fees - are they limited to some government indices? for example, the retail price index or maybe they increase in line with published inflation figures? Without any of these provisions then it would appear that they can increase by whatever amount they wish!

Hope this helps, and I hope your dad has a good move to his new home.

Fiona

Blog Entries
    Thank you so much...really useful information....I will now try to act on it all .

With my kind regards

Sally