+ Post a comment

Alzheimers charity shops

Hi All
    pls can someone tell me why there are no high st charity shops for Alzheimers? just like you see British Red Cross, Age Concern, Oxfam ect? just thought about it this morning as i took a bag full of clothes into Age concern and id love to volenteer a few hours if there was an Alzheimers one !!
    x

So would I
    Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value" Albert Einstein

Blog Entries
    This was discussed some time ago, although I don't know the outcome. I hope if anyone remembers maybe a link would be helpful?

I haven't seen a Alzheimer charity shop in my area either. Can't remember ever seeing
    one

It has been said, 'time heals all wounds.' I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

Blog Entries
    Hi again. I have carried out a search and here is a link to the earlier discussion. It may help, I don't know, but here it is

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showt...arity+shop#top

It has been said, 'time heals all wounds.' I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

Blog Entries
    Apparently Mind charity shops give funds to Alzheimers

Volunteer Moderator
    Blog Entries
    This was a discussion some time ago. I am fairly sure it is because organizationally it can be very difficult. Premises have to be rented/bought, each shop has to be managed and maintained plus finding numerous volunteers . I do believe it has been discussed within the Society and I am sure they will continue to review the situation.

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showt...=Charity+Shops
    Jan
    Former Carer and Volunteer Moderator

'Hope is a lover's staff, walk hence with that and manage it against despairing thoughts' (Shakespeare)

About me

A great pity because I am dealing with two estates at the moment and I would have loved to be able to give all the stuff to AS.

Edited to add that, despite the competition, so many charities do have a high street presence that the AS view seems a bit strange.
    Last edited by Contrary Mary; 14-02-2012 at 05:48 PM.

thankyou all for posting and sharing the link - i understand there would be a cost involved but you would just think they could have a few. such a shame.
    oh well - back to carboots then as all my funds get donated
    x

There is one in Bexhill on Sea for Alzheimers. Please go visit them. They are doing a great Job.

Quote Originally Posted by goldingdavid View Post
    There is one in Bexhill on Sea for Alzheimers. Please go visit them. They are doing a great Job.
    The shop in Bexhill is run by the Alzheimer's Research Trust. I'm not saying they don't do a great job, but it's only fair to point out that this isn't an Alzheimer's Society shop but is an entirely different charity.
    Jennifer

Volunteer moderator and former long distance carer.

A test of a people is how it behaves toward the old. It is easy to love children. Even tyrants and dictators make a point of being fond of children. But the affection and care for the old, the incurable, the helpless are the true gold mines of a culture.

Abraham J. Heschel