Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Blog Entries

who is allowed to admin meds

who is allowed to administer medication .... are care workers actually allowed to measure out liquids, and or put tablets in patients mouths

just a question when i go for dads dst

thanks

tim

In my husband's care home only management are allowed to give out and administer medication. They are the only ones who have had the extra training leading to a qualification in the correct and safe handling of drugs.

I have seen what I thought were ordinary care assistants giving out and administering medication in another care home but of course I do not know if they had these extra qualifications or not.

xxTinaT
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for everything....

at my dads CH the only people allowed to administer medication is the trained nursing staff. Care workers do not but i dont know if thats the law or just CH owners own policy. My own personal thoughts are i wouldnt be happy if it was any other way. Drugs can be so similar in appearance only someone with full medical knowledge and training would notice if something was amiss.

Thankfully all medication for residents' at Ken's care home are in weekly 'doset' boxes, each day divided up into morning, afternoon, evening etc., and blister packed so it needn't take a fully qualified nurse to give them out. All management have had to undergo extra training. This training is only given when CVQ level four has been reached which is one of the highest care qualifications available.

Medication which requires injections etc., is administed by district nurses attached to the home.

xxTinaT
    Last edited by TinaT; 10-03-2011 at 10:14 PM.

I am not sure what the rules are now
    but many years ago when I was involved in council homes
    there were two grades of Care assistants with a salary (pay) differential
    Grade 1 were qualified to administer drugs in addition to their other duties I am not sure now if they were also allowed to give injections.
    With all the new legistation, and compensation claims now prevalent I would imagine that the rules are now stricter than they were 30 years ago
    I would certainly ask the home
    I know for sure from recent experience that Carers in Home Care situations ( Carers in your home) are not allowed to administer medicines to the patients but must encourage them
    jimbo 111

Wouldn't you think that there were proper regulations legally enforceable but NO! All care homes get is 'recommendations' - not good enough!!

xxTinaT

Volunteer Moderator
    Blog Entries
    My mum's Carers who come to the house are only allowed to prompt meds. Mum's pills are in a Venalink blister pack and Carer pops them out into a measuring cup and watches as mum takes them. They're not supposed to dispense liquids.
    Izzy
    Carer and Volunteer Moderator

ABOUT ME.

'The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life.'
    Robert Louis Stevenson

Volunteer Moderator
    Blog Entries
    In my dad's home there were no 'nursing staff' only carers. Of these only the senior carers administered meds. They weren't allowed to place a tablet in my dad's mouth, but if we were there they would ask us to do so. I know there have to be rules about forcing medication against a patient's wishes, but my dad simply didn't understand what was being asked of him.
    Sue

Former carer and Volunteer Moderator

About me

Blog Entries
    Hello , My friend who lives in the same Town as me & is a Snr Carer has N V Q 2 & 4 is allowed Administer Meds & Liquids ( As TinaT said correctly she had to pass the correct Qulifacations & you have to keep up to date as well ( My friend & i used to work in the same C Home also then i was moved to our Sister C Home )

Izzy mentioned about the Care Worker coming in to help her Mum with meds . This the Regs asked my friend /see above

Home Care Workers & Meds The Regs / see below please :

* Regulations for giving out Meds & Liquids. Carers have to pass the same Qualifactions as TinaT mentioned / Safe Handling Of Meds

It costs approx 100 pounds to do the Exam so gess not all Employer's will pay for Staff to do it

By the way asked my friend ages ago how the system works cos wnted to find out some thing nothing to do with T P

Hope this helps

Best Wishes Love Grove x x x
    Where there is injury,pardon;
    Where there is dicord,union;
    Where there is doubt, faith;
    Where there is despair; hope;
    Where there is darkness,light;
    Where there is sadness,joy;

ST Francis Of Assisi

Hello Tim. I have Mum at home but I do all her meds. Mum wouldn't be able to put a tablet in her mouth at all, anyway. From the little I know I would suspect that the answer to your question is NO. I think these days the meds might not have to be in a dossette box, but there are still very strict rules and regulations over administering, and carers need to be trained.

Mary

My mother's carers did pop the meds out of the blister pack (putting them in an egg cup) and in fact, put the soluble aspirin in OJ, but I believe that they were fudging the issue somewhat.
    Jennifer

Volunteer moderator and former long distance carer.

A test of a people is how it behaves toward the old. It is easy to love children. Even tyrants and dictators make a point of being fond of children. But the affection and care for the old, the incurable, the helpless are the true gold mines of a culture.

Abraham J. Heschel

As I say Jennifer, carers themselves need some protection by having it clearly stated with proper legislation what is acceptable and what is not!

At the moment, relatives and carers find it very hard to get justice when medication is wrongly used or administered and the carers themselves have to 'fudge' and sail close to the wind in order to do their job well.

xxTinaT

only senior staff administer drugs in my husband`s home. Tablets are given in a small dispensing cup and staff sit with residents to make sure they are swallowed.
    My husband has liquid medication which he accepts willingly.

Sylvia

Former Carer and Volunteer Moderator .

I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet

About me

Quote Originally Posted by TinaT View Post
    As I say Jennifer, carers themselves need some protection by having it clearly stated with proper legislation what is acceptable and what is not!

At the moment, relatives and carers find it very hard to get justice when medication is wrongly used or administered and the carers themselves have to 'fudge' and sail close to the wind in order to do their job well.

xxTinaT

Yes, it's not right. I was grateful to them (with my mother's arthritis there was no way that she could pop that blister pack) but I was aware that it was, shall we say, done with a nod and a wink. What would have happened if they had not been willing to, lets face it, put themselves in the wrong, I really don't know. Well, I guess Mummy would have had a fatal stroke much faster as her BP would have been through the roof. I remain very grateful to these carers. Sadly, I didn't feel comfortable posting that at the time since I didn't want them getting into trouble.
    Jennifer

Volunteer moderator and former long distance carer.

A test of a people is how it behaves toward the old. It is easy to love children. Even tyrants and dictators make a point of being fond of children. But the affection and care for the old, the incurable, the helpless are the true gold mines of a culture.

Abraham J. Heschel

My mum's Carers who come to the house are only allowed to prompt meds.
    Same here, and my Mum is blind!
    Maureen.x.

When I grow too old to dream, I'll have you to remember......