+ Post a comment
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Appointee - opening an account in my mum's name?

Can anyone help with opening a bank or building society account in my mum's name, to be managed by me?

I am in the process of becoming an appointee,to manage her DWP benefits income only. I've contacted the Nationwide as I've banked with them for years, but no-one there seems to have any idea about appointeeship, it seems the only thing they know about is opening an account when you have power of attorney.

Despite citing the British Bankers Association Helpguide, "Banking for People who lack capacity to make decisions" which sets out about appointees, I'm just hitting a brick wall, being advised to open a joint account(!) or get power of attorney (now no longer possible without going through the Court of Protection).

Has anyone who is an appointee managed to open a bank account in their relative's name, managed by them - and if so, with whom? I'm looking for an internet account so I can manage it on line.

Thanks,

Cilla

Blog Entries
    Hi cilla89
    How/where are your Mum's benefits paid at the moment?

I don't think you can do what you are trying to do without a POA but I can't see why you can't open an account in your name + on behalf of your Mum's name (so Mrs C Bloggs on behalf of Mrs M Bloggs). Then I would think, on your instruction as your Mum's appointee, the DWP will pay the benefits into that account.

I could well be wrong but it makes sense to me.

Teresa x

Hello Cilla89 and welcome to TP.

I'm not sure what the BBA mean by "appointee". As far as I am aware, not having done it, it would be straightforward to manage benefits and the DWP would make you "appointee". However, for banks the ideal is a POA (which you say cannot be done now)and without it nothing can be done without, as you say, going through the COP. Hopefully others who have been in this position will be along to help.

Mary

I had to open an account to manage everything for my father but I had to present a sealed copy of the PoA to the bank before the bank would open the account. I also had to send sealed copies to his pension companies and the DWP before they would pay into the new account which was in my name acting on behalf of my father.

Why not open a specific account in your name and arrange for your mum's benefits to be paid into that? All you need to do is to keep records of what you spend on your mum's behalf.

If you are unsure, then ask the DWP for further advice.

I think that opening and managing a bank account in someone else's name will be virtually impossible without a full power of attorney.

I believe that Nebiroth is correct in the appropriate way to do this, odd as it may seem. You open an account in your own name and use is just for your mother's pension and or benefits.

There should be something on the DWP website about this - let me see if I can find it.

OK: this document (which despite the strange link is coming from the DWP website) http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sou...fAl1r952dUIcjQ

says

"The account into which benefits and pensions are paid should be in the
    appointee’s name only."
    Last edited by jenniferpa; 12-01-2011 at 06:09 PM.
    Jennifer

Volunteer moderator and former long distance carer.

“A test of a people is how it behaves toward the old. It is easy to love children. Even tyrants and dictators make a point of being fond of children. But the affection and care for the old, the incurable, the helpless are the true gold mines of a culture.”

Abraham J. Heschel

Blog Entries
    Having just gone through a review of appointeeship for my husband's pension etc..I think that DWP would be more than happy to accept an account in the appointee's name into which mum's pension/benefits are paid.

Just make sure you can account for spending from that account.

DWP just want to ensure that you're not taking the money for yourself.

I have EPA for my husband but it was meaningless with DWP and the matter of appointeeship..2 different areas....

Love xx

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showt...php?t=29105..a link to my thread about appointeeship
    Last edited by gigi; 12-01-2011 at 06:33 PM. Reason: add link
    gigi

The only way to see a rainbow is to look through the rain

Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Nebiroth is absolutely correct. Open a bank account in your own name - the bank does not need to know where money will be coming from.

Once the DWP confirms in writing to you your appointment as Appointee, the DWP will ask you where you want your Mum's benefits to be paid - and you give the DWP the new account details. Or if the DWP doesn't ask you, you just need to tell the DWP that from now on all payments are to be made to .... account details.

And of course you will need to keep the usual bank statements showing what you have done with your Mum's benefits.

Easy! Good luck, and hope it's as easy for you too.

Appointee - opening an account in my mum's name?

Thank you all for the comments/experiences. It looks like I will need to open an account in my name, to operate on my mum's behalf. I hope I will able to have something on the account like Mrs... on behalf of Mrs..... Anyone know if this is do-able?

The particular problem for me is that we now live in France and our "worldwide income" is taxed here. We are on pensions ourselves and our income is small. But we have to declare all income and details of bank accounts to the french tax authorities. Opening an account in my name to receive my mum's pension would look like I was receiving another regular pension. We (you are taxed as a couple in France) could be seen to be liable to tax, not only on any savings interest that may accumulate in the account opened for my mum, but on the pension income itself.

I had read the BBA leaflet as meaning appointee status would let me open a bank account in my mum's name - but now it seems less clear.

Thanks again for your help - any further suggestions appreciated.

Cilla

Blog Entries
    Hi again Cilla
    I think the fact that you live in France may make things more complicated Can't help at all with that side of things I'm afraid.
    Teresa x

I don't know about the naming of bank accounts.

As regards income, then I would think that this is actually not your income at all. It is your mother's, but held by yourself.

My only suggestion would be to contact the French tax authorities and ask for a clarification before going ahead with opening the account, etc. Your situation cannot be unique, in that France must have made similar arrangements possible for it's own citizens. There is the added complication that the payments etc are being made by the British authorities. There may beed to be communication between the British DWP and French tax office...(!)

I can appreciate your situation is complex, however, in the modern world of people moving around from country to country, it cannot be unique!

I am guessing that the fact that it is all happening within the EU will help matters.

New User
    Hi Cilla89,

I don't know if this will help you but I am also in the process of becoming an appointee for my Mum and I have enquired at the HSBC bank.

I currently hold a bank account with them which I manage online and therefore thought that it would be easier for me to open another current account in my name to have Mum's benefits paid into.

The very helpful Customer Services Advisor informed me that I would need to open an appointee bank account which has very strict procedures to follow before this can be opened. The DWP have to provide a form called 'BF57' which verifies you have been deemed as a siutable appointee and then a basic bank account can be opened.

The account must have less than £2000 at all times and if it reaches this amount or above the account has to be closed an an order has to be sought from the court of protection. Also, clear records must be kept to account for all of the money spent.

Hope this helps, it was all new to me aswell; however, feel i understand it a bit better after my trip to the bank!

New User
    My father died 11 months ago. Mum has had to go into a care home. He was Mum's main carer and like many older couples all their finances were dealt with through his bank account. I mean it was in his sole name. There is no LPA or EPA in relation to my mother. I will be applying to the Court of Protection. There is dissension between me and my two sisters over Mum's whole circumstances and decisions on her .

In the months following Dad's death, the Social Services made me Mum's appointee. Even though I told them my sisters would not agree. They determined as I was living the nearest to Mum they could make that decision. They advised me to open an account in my name for the sole purpose of Mum's finances. Into this the DWP pay Mum's pension and pension credit. I have to account for all income and expenditure. As I also manage this account on line, I have "nick named" it Mum's account.

The reasons I was given is that Social Services and DWP have to deal with someone who has sufficient mental capacity and cannot wait for the full court of protection arrangements to be put in place. I have not had any problems in dealing with DWP or Bedfordshire Social Services - they have all been very helpful.

Social security form B57

How do I get the SS to issue me a B57 form please?

Mirium could you perhaps be a bit more specific about what a B57 form is?
    Jennifer

Volunteer moderator and former long distance carer.

“A test of a people is how it behaves toward the old. It is easy to love children. Even tyrants and dictators make a point of being fond of children. But the affection and care for the old, the incurable, the helpless are the true gold mines of a culture.”

Abraham J. Heschel