Missing Dentures

Help! Mum has lost her dentures again in her care home - this time, both upper and lower sets. I'm being told that she'll be better off without them as all dementia patients eventually don't want to wear them. Has anybody replaced their parents' dentures and found that they DIDN'T disappear again? I can't quite understand why, if it is such a frequent occurrence, the staff can't be on the lookout for them when they're thrown away. Mum is in quite a small home and there are limited ways of disposing of anything.

If only dentures came in three sizes and you could buy them off the shelf! I don't know whether my mother at 90 would be able to endure the necessary 6-8 appointments to get the replacement dentures. Does anybody know of travelling dentists who visit dementia homes or is this something that just doesn't exist?

Carolyn
    xx

Can I ask if the home have searched everywhere for them and I mean everywhere including other peoples' rooms? because my Mother used to hide her teeth in very peculiar places.
    I wonder if the British Dental Association could advise you.
    http://www.bda.org/

Meanwhile is your mother eating ok and on a soft diet? whilst you figure out what to do. If she is eating well on a soft diet and not losing weight, liaise with the carestaff and her GP the best way forward.

And also the other "little pixies" used to visit Mum's room sometimes and borrow things and likewise mum used to visit other peoples rooms and do likewise - usually at night when she or they used to wander in their travels.
    Last edited by sunny; 16-10-2010 at 09:09 AM.

There was a recent thread about this.

It hasn't happened to us yet but reading various posts I would think twice about replacing them

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showt...light=dentures

I am sorry that the home doesn't check pockets etc. Mum is getting to be an expert at hiding stuff and throwing things away. We have lost a lot of things already.

Lemony xx

When life gives you lemons make lemonade.

Thank you both for your helpful replies.

Mum is eating very well without the dentures but she knows the top set are missing and is asking constantly where they are - she's been some time without the bottom set and forgotten that she ever had any! In fact, she managed to "borrow" somebody else's top set and popped them into her own mouth - they were a very bad fit so the carers were able to spot them and return them to the rightful owner!

I'm sure you're right - it won't take long before she gets used to not having them. The carers have told me that I'm more worried for me rather than her but it is another major step in the loss of dignity. First her glasses went and now the teeth - she no longer looks anything like the Mum I put into care back in June. Different hairstyle, no make-up, much thinner and now sans teeth! It's true that most of her companions haven't got any teeth either which makes them all look much older than they probably are.

Having read the other thread, I can so identify with the anguish of replacing the teeth only to find they've disappeared again.

The carers do search but not immediately when the teeth first go missing so by the time they start looking bins have been emptied they tell me. Not entirely satisfactory, I know, but they've got much bigger problems to contend with than Mum's teeth so perhaps I just have to accept the new look!

Carolyn
    xx

Hi

This happened to my Nan.

It seems that one resident took our their teeth to show everyone and the rest of the residents followed and before anyone knew they all had the wrong teeth!

Th home do have a way of nameing them but they were never found.

For my Nan we ordered new teeth but with the expectation they would not be a lot of point. She'd had the same set for 40 years.

x

Blog Entries
    Hi
    Mum lost her dentures at home. She had them in , in the morning, we hunted hi and low with no luck ,

Dad took mum to dentist , no joy their as mum was scared and woudnt open her mouth.

Mum managed very well, softish food, meat cut up very fine ect

We believe mum flushed them down the loo.

I have read posts on here of dentists visuting homes, the manager should know. I think but not sure they are called community dentists.

But ti be honest I think if you get another set they will only go missing again.
    Lin

Daughter and former carer

If only I could have Hindsight beforehand, oh what a difference it would make .

Odd words,mis-spelling and punctuation are most likely due to my clever phone, it seems to have its own ideas about what I am trying to say, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it lol

In my neck of the woods, we do have visiting dentists, so it may be worth while doing a search to find one in your area.
    I've noticed quite a few residents in the care homes I visit who now don't have their dentures any more and it annoys me. I used to be a carer and I can't remember ever losing a set for good. They always turned up eventually, very often inside a pillowcase!
    Sue

Freelance Activity Co-ordinator

To love a person is to learn the song that is in their heart and sing it to them when they have forgotten.

Thank you again for all the helpful comments. I googled visiting dentists and actually found a firm that said they are prepared to visit people in care homes in our area! So I've sent them an email to see whether they would actually go through all the necessary stages for making a new set of dentures.

I think then this would be the last attempt to sort this problem. If they went missing again, I would just have to throw in the towel but Mum seems so unhappy without her top teeth that I think I should just try one more time.

Carolyn
    xx

Well, there is a limit to how many sets of dentures a person should have, but just to say that the presence of dentures doesn't just enhance a person's appearance, but helps to keep their jaw in the right position. Without teeth a persons jaw can sag and this can lead to unnecessary strain on the lower face muscles, and can lead to incredible pain if the jaw moves out of line (tempora mandibular joint disfunction - google it, and I have had it, and don't want it again, EVER).

I appreciate the expense and hassle, but if possible I would recommend replacing lost dentures. That said, my mum lost hers, and I didn't replace them!!!

Margaret

Update on replacement dentures!

Just to let you know that I telephoned a dentist who travels to care homes and does indeed deal with replacing dentures for dementia patients. However, the cost is 1300!!! I didn't ask whether this included VAT - I was in too much shock. It might be possible to get a second or third pair at a reduced price - I would have to ask at the time.

He did sound very kind and said all his staff are trained to deal with dementia patients. Our area of Buckinghamshire is visited on a Monday and it would take 4 - 5 weeks to complete all the stages. If I wanted to rush everything through to get a pair in 10 days, it would cost another 40%!!

If one ignores the expense (!), my main worry is that in five week time my mother won't know what to do with a set of dentures.. so I'm still unsure on how to proceed.

I'll let you know what I decide!

love
    Carolyn

I've been worrying about the same thing myself this past few weeks. Ken is in the middle of dentists appointments for a new upper set of teeth. He is really too ill and infirm to take him to the surgery for the two remaining fittings but unless I do take him I will have lost the 195 it cost to have this treatment and he will have to remain without upper teeth. What a problem this is for me.

Your thread has highlighted a very difficult situation for myself and I'm sure many others in similar situations.

xxTinaT

Just a quick word in reminding - although I am sure I dont really need to - that checking to see if these dentists are actually registered - and above board (fully qualified) and you can check this with the bda- before agreeing to any treatment for somebody who has dementia as there was a "quack" in our town that got found out.

http://www.bda.org/
    Last edited by sunny; 18-10-2010 at 07:24 PM.

How sad that there are people to take advantage of elderly people who have enough to cope with without rip-off merchants.

Lemony xx

When life gives you lemons make lemonade.

I've lost track of the list of things hospitals and care homes have lost re: my father over the last 18 months. Vast quantities of stuff.

Most recently, a few days ago I noticed that his beloved teddy bear was missing. Daddy couldn't shed any light on the matter, but today I found that he'd wrapped his precious radio in a Sainsbury's bag and put it in the bin. If I'd not noticed it was missing, and tracked it down, it might well have been thrown out. Daddy thought he was simply packing it, because he keeps thinking he's leaving

I hope it might still be possible to find your mum's dentures in somebody else's room.