+ Post a comment
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Just to add my thanks to you two fine gentleman, as I know my Mum spends a lot of time lying in her bed and I fear she is detaching herself from others and depressed. How you describe things, it helps us all in our efforts to understand and give the love needed. I hope too that soon you will feel better Norms, but get help from TP if you need it. Take care.

Many thanks for all the replies as is always good to know that our efforts in trying to explain the depths of our feelings within this illness are of use to people
    Why don’t you join in my Baking group just follow this link
    http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/group.php?groupid=21

Barry

Lost within my own world of Mixed Dementia

Alzheimer's, Lewy Body dementia, and Parkinson's disease

http://www.facesofdementia.co.uk

Blog Entries

Hiya

Hello all, once again i am humbled by your kind words and thoughts. i am feling a little better today and smiled for the first time in a couple of days (or was that because i had four of my grandchildren running round last night when they came for tea??) I am sure sometimes that lots of things "Happen behind the scenes" when i get like this sometimes, as my grandchildren seemed to appear from nowhere and were just the tonic i needed !! thank you all so much for your continuing suppost, best wishes, Norrms and family xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    What do you mean i have Alzheimer`s? IVE BEEN DIETING FOR GODS SAKE !!

Hi Norrms,
    Sorry to hear you've been feeling so down lately. It is good to share it on here as mostly you come across as a very happy, jolly person, and it would be hard to guess that you get depressed. It is such a horrible thing that descends whenever it feels like it.

I know my mum has retreated to her room and is lying on her bed cuddling a teddy which seems to keep her content. (Although it worries me that she is keeping herself to herself, might be depressed - sometimes a quiet time can be a good thing until a better frame of mind comes back). Two days ago she was upset to learn about another resident's husband having dementia. It is strange that she can have the insight to be upset for other people who have it, but seems to have no knowledge that she has it - other than memory problems. I have always thought that she would go into a deep depression if she once allowed herself to accept that knowledge, which is why I don't dwell on it when mentioned. She seems more content with the way things are at the moment.

Thank goodness for your grandchildren - they always work wonders for lightening the mood don't they? Hope you continue to feel brighter Norrms. The sun is trying to get out here which always helps a little - hope it is there for you too.
    Love and best wishes, Gill x

Dear Norrms and Barry,

Just catching up. So sorry Norrms that you were having such a bad day. I hope you are in a better frame of mind now.

I just want to thank you both for the insight you provide into dementia. We can't enter your world but we can understand a little better.

Sending a big (((Hug)))

Love,
    Jeanne.

Blog Entries

Hiya

A much better day was had today, thank you all so much, best wishes, Norrms and family xxxxxxxxxx

Dear Norrms

How you give to us whilst this incidious disease steals from you, never ceases to amaze me.

I am constantly in awe of the small number of people like yourself that articulate this disease whilst most bury their heads and deny it.

Just want to send you a cyber hug.

Sue

Hi Norrms Soooooooooooo glad you have had a better day.
    Regards Hazel

Blog Entries
    dear norrms, dave was VERY depressed for three years and is now on escitalapram and does seem alot better, daves consultant said it was recomended for people with dementia, it dosnt seem too slow him down any more than he already is. maybe you should try these as im sure you would
    rather feel a bit better even if you were a bit slower, im glad you are feeling a little better today. sending you a big hug to cheer you up norrms xxxx
    love lyn/wifeand mum

Blog Entries

Hiya

Hello all and thank you, i have been on Prozac for a while now and it seems to do the trick apart from the odd days when i am really bad and unfortunatley i go to really bad places with my thoughts but thankfully Elaine is there to steer me clear of any harm, best wishes, Norrms and family xxxxxxxx

Blog Entries
    Norrms just thank God you have your angel Elaine, love pam

Blog Entries

Hello my dear friend....

I do hope you are feeling a bit better. I know what a demon depression can be(though I still say I'm not depressed just have too much on my plate). Luckily the one thing about Mum is she always seems pretty happy. It's very easy to hide behind a screen, much harder to be open and honest.
    I have no magic wand, but I'd happily pose as a fairly godmother if it would cheer you up?

Take care
    xx

Blog Entries

Unhappy Oh dear, I do feel for you all

I realise that I am so lucky - my antidepressants really do the trick, combined with the fact that I am still able to go on long walks (with the local U3A walking group).

I know I have all this to come and just want those of you who are having to cope with all this NOW know that others are thinking of you in your day to day struggle with this horrid disease.

Carrie

Best wishes Norrms

Norrms, I used to take Prozac but found it made me very sleepy. I now take a low dose of Escitalopram, (also known as Citalopram or Cipralex) and it seems to do the trick.

Having said that I had a very low day on Saturday and felt as if all I wanted to do was sleep forever. I don't think the gloomy weather helps depression nor the short winter days.

I was able to 'pick myself up' but it did take a struggle. I hope you have a better week this week. Stay strong if you can. You are a great inspiration here.
    Last edited by DeborahBlythe; 25-01-2010 at 11:01 AM.

Deborah

Blog Entries

Overdose?

I notice a lot of people here have said how sleepy anti-depressants make them, and some have said they take a very low dose. I'm quite interested in things like the body's responses to stimuli and the way Bach's Flower remedies work. For those that are not familiar with them they often say the lower the concentration of the remedy the more powerful it is. It kind of follows a theory that if the body gets a little bit of something it overeacts because it thinks there may be more to follow.
    Unfortunately I have seen anti-depressants used a lot, and almost without exception I have felt that the side effects are almost as bad as the depression often causing a high degree of incapacity.
    My GP said it is not worth me taking 5mg of paroxetine daily as it is too small a dose to help, but I said I felt it did help, and if the body can react to a tiny amount of something like cyanide, I didn't understand why people did not feele it could react to tiny doese of other compounds.
    End result I still take my 5mg, cope a LOT better, and don't feel so drugged up I can't make decisions or respond to emergencies.
    I am not recommending this for everyone though, it's just my experience.