+ Post a comment

Not a good Christmas or start to the New Year

Hi to you all but let me first say:

A Happy New Year to everyone

Iím sure some of you might have started to wonder where I had got to since before Christmas and especially those of you like ĎNorrms and Helení that had sent me PMís or personal E-mails with Christmas and New Year greetings to which I have not yet replied so I will try to explain as best I can.

The fact is that neither Christmas nor the start to a New Year has been good for me; it all started about 4 weeks before Christmas when I started to get some discomfort in my back and hips but did not take to much notice of it at the time thinking it was sciatica or maybe twisted muscles from moving furniture at the time of stepdaughters engagement party, but the pain slowly got worse so much so that I was flat on my back in bed unable to move so I went to the doctors who said she thought it was a sprained back and gave me pain killers which have not helped as the pain is still there and now I can hardly walk, the only relief I get is when sitting or laying down and the discomfort is now moving into my other muscles and bones so hopefully when I go back to the doctor tomorrow she will send me for X-rays and blood tests, but my disorientations did not just stop there as on the 23rd December my computer decided to crash so I lost all contact with the world, I managed to struggle to the computer shop in town who said it would take 2-3 days to repair but in fact took until yesterday to get the computer back and set up again, I should point out that shops out here are open 365 days of the year!

Being without the computer and the constant pain in my body has completely sent my mind into absolute confusion and disorientation and to be honest I have no recollection of whatís been happening over the past few weeks itís as though 2-3 weeks of my life have just disappeared and that Christmas and New Year never existed.

Itís been the weirdest feeling Iíve ever experienced within my illness of the past 5 years and made me very anxious as I can tell my condition has taken a sudden down turn and Iíve never felt so confused as I still do at this moment in time but hopefully that will pass now that I have the computer again for my brain stimulation, as for my back and hips well Iím pretty sure itís not a sprain and donít even like to contemplate what the problem might be but I keep having visions of either a Zimmer frame or even a wheel chair since thatís how bad my walking has become!

I know I have a lot of catching up to do with TP and all the different threads that Iíve missed but hopefully within the next few days I can put that right.

So thatís my reason for being away for so long but I have a great sense of relief at knowing Iím back amongst friends.
    Why donít you join in my Baking group just follow this link
    http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/group.php?groupid=21

Barry

Lost within my own world of Mixed Dementia

Alzheimer's, Lewy Body dementia, and Parkinson's disease

http://www.facesofdementia.co.uk

I`m really sorry to hear of all your troubles Barry. I don`t know which is worse, back pain or being without your computer.
    I do hope you will be able to find pain relief as constant pain is so tiring.

Sylvia
    Carer and Member of the Volunteer Moderation Team

I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet

About me

Blog Entries
    Dear Barry, lovely to have you back. I'm so sorry you've had such a wretched time and hope something can be done about your back.

Take care and enjoy pottering through TP at your leisure. You will have plenty to read at least!

I hope that despite the bad start, 2010 is kind to you.

Vonny xx
    Vonny
    Former Carer

TP: "A little light in great darkness" Ezra Pound

It is so good to see you back Barry I really am sorry that you are having such a tough time and that Christmas and New Year were wiped off the calendar for you. I couldn't be more pleased that you have the computer back and it is up and running. Your message was in in the uniquely 'Barry' style that we have all begun to know and love

When I hear about backs, I automatically think 'Osteopathy' and tried googling to see whether Indonesia had osteopaths but wasn't very successful. Would you think about seeing whether you can find someone suitably experienced and qualified to examine your back? When my brother was in agony quite a few years ago a blind osteopath examined him and from that examination my brother was immediately admitted into hospital and operated on that same day. If it weren't for an osteopath, I think I, personally, would still be lying in bed with a bag of frozen peas on my back because the consultants here couldn't find anything wrong even though I had a massive swelling at neck level I saw an osteopath and had the whole problem cleared up within a couple of sessions It may not help but it won't do any harm There may be an ex-pat who is qualified and experienced.

Alan had a massive downturn immediately after Christmas but he was back again after 24 hours thank goodness so there was not much permanent damage.

Sending love Barry and hoping that day by day you will feel better and that you will begin to feel supported again now that you have access to us. You have certainly been in my thoughts and I know you have been thought about by others even though you couldn't reach us
    Helen
    Wife and Carer

Dear Barry, I'm sorry to read about your troubles over the 'festive season'. I do hope you can keep out of a wheelchair. The Zimmer frame is not a bad idea if it keeps you upright and mobile.

I have mild but chronic lower back pain and find that keeping mobile is definitely the best way to deal with it. It doesn't cure it but walking seems to remind the muscles of how they used to be and the aches subside a bit. Staying motionless is actually not advised in my case. I do hope that you can get some painkillers to help you.
    Regards and best wishes

Deborah

Good to have you back Barry.

Sorry to read about your back problems, and hope that you can get something sorted very soon. Wishing you a belated Happy/healthy New Year
    Connie

Carer and Volunteer Moderator

"Today is as good as it gets" - Lionel, upon diagnosis 2002

Oh dear, it certainly wasn't a Happy Christmas for you, was it! I'm sorry you've had such a rotten start to the year, but glad that at least you're back on line & in touch with us.

Have you (or your wife) investigated whether acupuncture for pain relief is available? Obviously I don't know what services or conventions are common in your part of the world, but it might help and as many of us know, a constant nagging pain can be one of the worst things for dragging you down.

I do hope you feel better soon.
    Lynne
    former Carer

"Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way", lyric line from 'Time', by Pink Floyd

Blog Entries

Hey you!!!!

Hello my dear friend and i just want to say lts good to have you back !!!! Sorry about the back problems and memory prblems over the festive season and i hope your feeling a little more like yourself again, great to hear from you, best wishes, Norrms and family xxxxxxxxxxxx
    What do you mean i have Alzheimer`s? IVE BEEN DIETING FOR GODS SAKE !!

Blog Entries
    Hi Barry

Its good to see you back again and I hope you are feeling a lot better.
    Take care

Best Wishes

Ken
    Life is a Journey - Seize the day, and enjoy it while you are able to.

Thank goodness for spell checker

Volunteer Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Glad you're back Barry - hope you begin to feel better soon. Izzy x
    Izzy

'The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life.'
    Robert Louis Stevenson

Hi to you all and thanks for the comments, I really wish I could find an osteopath out here as it would no doubt help but living where we do in the provinces thereís no such luck and unfortunately Iím the only ex-pat in about a one hundred mile radius so I rely very much on Sumi to massage me which is a great help, but I will see what the doctor has to say today.

Helen Iím sorry to hear that Alan had a down turn after Christmas and hope that heís a bit better now, maybe itís a problem with all of us that have this illness that after all the excitement and maybe extra noise that it suddenly affects us?

Barry

Smile

Hi Barry

Hope that you are feeling much better today lovely to hear from you Take care Love Jackie x x x x

Hi to you all,

Must admit I feel much better today as I went to the doctor yesterday and she gave me a complete check over, Blood sugar is on ĎParí despite having eaten all the Christmas cake my Son sent me, Blood pressure normal despite all the stress over Christmas, but my limbs and what they call the ĎDeep Tone Reflexesí have now become much weaker hence my lose of balance and bad walking, short term memory was also very bad when tested, eye sight has got worse so need new glasses, she was positive that all my added confusion, tremor in the arms and hands, and anxiety is all due to not having had the computer for almost three weeks so there was a lose of brain activity and stimulation to keep my motivated which as we all know is essential in slowing down Mr D from moving in further, as for my back and hipís she thinks this has also been aggravated by the brain having sent adverse messages of discontent to what is a weak spot at the moment that will hopefully improve now that I have the computer back and she said to keep myself active at the computer so that the brain bounces back (but of course not to over do it) if only we could get the brains computer repaired in the same way as the home computer even if it did take 3 weeks it would be worth the wait!

Barry

Volunteer Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Glad you're feeling a bit better Barry and that you have you PC bck on action! Izzy x
    Izzy

'The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life.'
    Robert Louis Stevenson