Excessive burping?

Hi,

Has anyone had to deal with an onset of gastric problems with their ADLOs? AD-lady (70), in mid stages, this past week has recently started getting up hours earlier than normal, is complaining of stomach pains, is burping alot, and is wandering around in a somewhat distressed state until she settles down after an hour or so, when she then has breakfast. She sleeps soundly through the night though. There doesn't seem to be much of a problem with her during the day after eating, only now first thing in the morning. Doctor has advised smaller evening meals but she is barely having much at all in the evenings (soup and such) and so don't feel this should be causing a digestive problem due to too much food. She isn't on any medication at the moment.

It was suggested this could be anxiety related. Any thoughts or suggestions? She's receiving an antacid to help. Is this something common with the progression of AD?

I'm asking this on behalf of a friend caring for her mother. My father (AD, who I care for) has also started developing some eating complications associated with his midday meal, usually a sandwich, and is now, also, burping alot. Breakfast and dinner are never a problem...only lunch! (Go figure.) He has brought up his meal only once after eating his lunch. It has us wondering!

Thanks in advance.

Weets
    Don't worry about the world ending today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!
    Charles M. Schulz

It could be part of dementia, anxiety or indigestion, any of these. Has a Hiatus Hernia been ruled out?

Sylvia

Former Carer and Volunteer Moderator .

I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet

About me

Blog Entries
    Weets, my Mom was like this when she couldn't distinguish appetite, often I thought it may be hunger pains, how your tummy rumbles when you have not eaten in a while. She always settled when she had eaten her breakfast. She did have some IBS pre AD but this seemed to disappear but may have been contributing to it.

Pain is a difficult one with Mom's AD, you can touch Mom lightly and some days she will giggle as if it tickles others she will call out as if she is hurt, it is another of the things that worries me, if she is in real pain how would we know.

Mom also burped a lot for a spell, and wanted snacks all the time because she could not remember having eaten,would love to be back there now, we are struggling to get her to eat or drink enough at the moment.
    Last edited by jayne-b; 23-09-2009 at 08:57 AM.

burping

hi Weets
    just finding my way on the forum for the first time
    my husband has dementia which has after 3 yrs has made him now start to be aggressive - there are the days when he doesnt know "anything about anything" (his words)and then he jerks when i gently touch him and burps non stop in my face . i thought he was just trying to be horrible as everything is always my fault when he cant remember-my fault for taking him to a strange place(our house for the last 6 years) by reading your message and the replies it has helped as i know now this is caused by his anxiety -
    thank you
    jaygee
    Last edited by JayGee; 23-09-2009 at 12:35 PM.

My husband burps because he gobbles his food. He has so much trouble getting food to his mouth that when he does succeed he rushes. I think that he eats quickly so that he can keep a rhythm going before it all gets too difficult for him to remember. I've found that the best meals for him are ones which he can eat by picking up the food with his fingers.

He also drinks any liquids very quickly. So much so that his mug is emptied during the short time it takes for me to go back into the kitchen and bring my mug into the living room.

In his case I'm sure that he is swallowing air with his food but I would ask the doctor to check for any condition which may be causing the burping.

xxTinaT

Volunteer Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grannie G View Post
    It could be part of dementia, anxiety or indigestion, any of these. Has a Hiatus Hernia been ruled out?
    My mum has a hiatus hernia which leads to much burping. We can go through weeks when there's not much of a problem but sometimes it seems to be constant. She does have medication for it so don't really know why sometimes it is worse than others. Izzy x
    Izzy
    Carer and Volunteer Moderator

ABOUT ME.

'The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life.'
    Robert Louis Stevenson

Blog Entries

Hello Weets

My mum hasn't got dementia..but she does have a Hiatus Hernia which is renowned for causing excessive belching...and bloating and abdominal discomfort.Mum suffers from all of these.

has recently started getting up hours earlier than normal, is complaining of stomach pains, is burping alot, and is wandering around in a somewhat distressed state until she settles down after an hour or so, when she then has breakfast.
    It may help if the head of the bed can be propped up..either with pillows or by raising the mattress or the bed legs so that she can sleep in a more upright position. Small regular meals will also help..if it's a Hiatus Hernia.

I can only stress that any new problems should be reported to the GP and duly investigated. AD brings lots of problems ...and the answers aren't always that simple.

xx
    gigi

The only way to see a rainbow is to look through the rain

I also was wondering whether the burping was being brought on by eating too quickly and/or swallowing air. It wouldn't hurt to go to the doctor, just in case.
    Joanne
    Carer and Volunteer Moderator
    When you've seen one person with Alzheimer's, you've seen one person with Alzheimer's

Blog Entries
    hi night time is worse because of acid rising up into the gullet main reason is hiatus hernia but she should be checked by a gastroenterologist to rule out anything else love lynx
    love lyn/wifeand mum

Thankyou all for your replies and suggestions! You've certainly given us a few extra ideas to follow up on.

... and welcome to you also, JayGee! This site is fantastic for helping 'demystify' many of the behaviours and problems we, as carers, are faced with. I initially felt a bit silly writing this post on behalf of someone else, but I'm now so glad to know that this discussion and others' replies have helped in your understanding of some of the strange (and at times seemingly cruel) behaviours of our ADLOs. It's certainly hard not to take it all personally sometimes! Hang in there.... and hope to "see" you round more here.

(((Hugs))) all!

Weets
    Don't worry about the world ending today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!
    Charles M. Schulz