Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Black urine?

Blog Entries

Black urine?

Hi everyone,

Mum was taken to hospital last night, sweating (but no temperature), pulse racing. Today they have put a catheter in and when I went to see her tonight I noticed that the tube and bag is full off dark brown, nearly black, urine.

I've googled it and it appears that unless certain chemicals are ingested (hardly likely with weetabix and strawberry trifle!) it's likely to be a kidney infection. She is nil by mouth pending investigations tomorrow.

Does anyone have any experience of this and how serious could it be?

Thanks

Vonny xx
    Vonny
    Former Carer

TP: "A little light in great darkness" Ezra Pound

No I haven`t Vonny but it doesn`t sound good. I do know black stools can signify blood in the intestines.

Sylvia

Former Carer and Volunteer Moderator .

I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet

About me

Oh dear Vonny - no, I don't know either. Is she on any meds?
    Jennifer

Volunteer moderator and former long distance carer.

“A test of a people is how it behaves toward the old. It is easy to love children. Even tyrants and dictators make a point of being fond of children. But the affection and care for the old, the incurable, the helpless are the true gold mines of a culture.”

Abraham J. Heschel

Blog Entries

Hello Vonny...

It sounds like severe dehydration...or kidney failure.

I hope they've got mum on IV fluids..and a fluid balance chart.

Sorry you have this worry...how is dad taking it?

Love xx
    gigi

The only way to see a rainbow is to look through the rain

Hi Vonny

Afraid I cannot give you any advice but I am thinking of you and sending love.

Love
    Sue
    Wife and former Carer

You don't appreciate what you had until it's gone!

Hi Vonny

Sorry to hear about your mum..hope they get it sorted. Not heard of that before,thinking of you xx

EVE (((HUGS))))

Volunteer Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Oh heck Vonny - yet another worry!!

It does not sound too good - dark brown urine seems to indicate blood from the ? kidneys so not sure about 'black'.

Thoughts with you at this time - always hard ain't it?

Love Jan

Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Vonny, sorry to hear of this worry for you.

The only time I have encountered v.v.v. dark, almost black urine, was when there was a change in medication. Not one of the average meds but a serious med, nothing to do with dementia.

So all I can ask is have there been any changes in meds recently? If so, ask the medics to consider that change.

Sorry, can't offer anything else from personal experience.

Good wishes.

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone. Ma is on various meds: clonazepam, taramasalata (well obviously it's not that but its the closest I can remember!), aspirin and co-drydamol. No changes recently I'm afraid.

She's being rehydrated and next to her bed is an Early Warning Checklist so I assume the nurses are monitoring her closely. They are to be hourly checks unless the score drops to a safe level when it goes onto 4 hourly.

Not sure if it's black or brown. Looks dark brown in the tube and black in the bag but I suppose that's because there is more of it there.

Heigh ho, there's allus summat to worry about isn't there. Thanks for all your good wishes.

Vx
    Vonny
    Former Carer

TP: "A little light in great darkness" Ezra Pound

Vonny, John's urine was very dark brown when he had his first most serious UTI. But not black, that does usually indicate blood, but I don't know.

I'm so sorry, it must be very worrying for you. Hopefully you'll get more information tomorrow.

Love,

Hazel
    Carer

Don't grieve for what you have lost, rejoice for what you have had.

Blog Entries
    taramasalata (well obviously it's not that but its the closest I can remember!),
    Vonny..I'll never eat it again...

Seriously ..mum is being observed regularly..Hope the rehydration works, Vonny.

And that you and dad are ok.

Love xx
    gigi

The only way to see a rainbow is to look through the rain

Dear Vonney, so sorry to read your post.

Nothing I can say except to send love 'hugs to mum, dad and of course your good self.

Hope that you get some answers soon.
    Connie

Carer and Volunteer Moderator

"Today is as good as it gets" - Lionel, upon diagnosis 2002

OMG !! Hope they are able to do something about it at the hospital This is what I got from my search: :

Brown or black urine which is not due to muscle and blood tissue damage may be caused by ingestion of medications and/or foods or a disease state. There is no general “black color”. The actual chemical causing the black color is a chromogen as the result of the metabolic defect.

Copper, phenacetin, phenol poisoning or medications that cause excessive L-dopa or melanin excretion will cause black urine.. Ingestion of large amounts of rhubarb, fava beans, or aloe can cause dark brownish black urine. Many medications(see reference) may cause brown or brown-black urine.

Black urine may be associated with the following disease states: Melanoma may cause melanin and melanogen excretion and will darken standing urine.. Alcaptonia, a rare hereditary disease, may cause urine to turn dark after being exposed to the air over a period of time. Urinary tyrosinosis will also cause urine to be brown-black in color. In porphyria cutanea tarda, the urine will appear reddish brown in natural light but fluoresces pink under ultraviolet light.
    Hematuria: The color associated with hematuria may vary from red (Figure 3) to black (Figure 4) depending on the quantity of blood in the urine, the degree of urine acidity and the time interval that blood has been in contact with urine. In recently formed and freshly collected acidic urine, hematuria may be associated with urine color that is normal yellow, pink, or red. As red cells disintegrate, they release hemoglobin, which in an acid environment, may oxidize to methemoglobin and result in a brown or black color (Figure 4). Black urine viewed with the aid of bright light or in a thin layer usually appears brown or deep reddish-brown.

If gross hematuria has been observed, determining when during the process of micturition its intensity is most severe may be helpful in localizing the source of hematuria.
    Do keep us posted.

With best wishes
    Last edited by Stimpfig; 02-08-2009 at 09:31 PM.
    Sue Stimpfig

Glad to be here at all times

Dear Vonny, sorry to hear about your mum. I think this colour is very likely to be very concentrated urine with blood. Try not to be alarmed. Urine can look absolutely dreadful with even small amounts of blood in it, and concentrated urine can even look thick or oily or like pus. Its probably a combination of factors: infection, dehydration, trauma from the catheter. Im sure the medics will get it sorted, but if you are still worried about the colour in a couple of days just ask them. Does your mum drink very much, (Im sorry if I missed threads where you describe what she is like)? Thinking back, I have seen catheter bags full of similar coloured urine in people that do not have any infection or blood, its just a normal colour for them. But obviously, if this is out of the ordinary for your mum, then there probably is a good reason. I would imagine they will treat her with anti-biotics and rehydrate her. Read her charts to see if she is on anything new and if her fluid balance is being monitored. Also, make sure she is on pain relief if she seems uncomfortable- catheters can be painful, and nurses may not watch or know your mums pain signals like you do. I hope she gets better soon Vonny, especially with all you have to cope with. xxx

Vonny

So sorry to hear about your mum,have PM you as usual,hope mum is abit better now,take care Marian xx