Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Care Grant??

Blog Entries

Care Grant??

Hiya, i have just been reading through the blogs when i saw it mentioned that there is a "Care Grant" entitlement of somewhere in the region of 250/350 every two years. Can somebody enlighten me on this and its criteria as i would love Elaine to benifit from this if at all possible as she is my full time carer, thank you so much, Norrms and family xxx

Hi Norrms

Yes, I would like to know about it too please.
    Helen
    Wife and Carer

Me too!"!!!
    Sue
    Wife and former Carer

You don't appreciate what you had until it's gone!

Blog Entries
    hi norrms a lady from the alzhiemers society put my name forward for this 2 years ago i I was awarded 200 pounds to pay for a years gym membership, I was very gratfull for this, think if you contact your local AS office they should have application forms, hope Elaine is succsefull. pam

I was able to get one of these grants last year. I am fairly certain that your wife would need to have a community care assessment of her own needs (as a carer) to get this. It's worth it though - I got 150 to spend on treats like massages - absolute bliss!

I'm afraid I can't rmeember what the funding was actually called though... hopefully someone else will know...

Well from what I can gather, the money for the Carers' Grants comes from central government (the Dept for Health) and goes to local authorities to allow them to support the needs of carers in their area.

It looks like the total grant for 2008/2209 was 224 million (not sure exactly what areas of the UK this covers).

There is no requirement for all of this money to go directly to carers. For example, it could be used for community programmes for carers.

There is a Dept of Health document outlining how this money should be spent for those who like crunchy nuggets of detailed info:

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publications...ance/DH_081665

Some local authority web sites do have information specifically on carers grants, so it's worth doing a Google search on 'carers grants' and the name of your LA.

As Trying my best has already said, these are probably accessed via a carer's assessment through social services.

Here is the link for Devon Norrms:

http://www.devon.gov.uk/index/social...assessment.htm

These two Devon pages are also worth looking at :

http://www.devon.gov.uk/index/social...ers-rights.htm

http://www.devon.gov.uk/index/social...lth/carers.htm

Here's a good general reference page on carer's assessments:

http://www.carersuk.org/Information/...ssessmentguide

Take care,

Sandy
    Sandy
    Talking Point Member

I too have been trying to find out about this Carers Grant. I wonder whether it is means tested or how does one qualify for it. Although David receives Attendance Allowance a Council Tax reduction, apart from that we receive no other support at all at present (don't I know it!!!!) - so I am wondering whether I will need to be assessed and jump thru hoops to get it. Quite honestly I don't want to start all that yet.

I must admit they keep this Grant very well hidden don't they.....
    Sue
    Wife and former Carer

You don't appreciate what you had until it's gone!

Blog Entries

Carers' Grant..

In our area it's called "Take a Break"...grant for Carers.

I was too late applying last year and the pot was empty...but was surprised to receive a cheque for 250 at the start of the tax year.

Sue..it's not means tested...but I'd imagine you'd need to have a Carers' Assessment to qualify. There's also a list of what it can and can't be spent on..it has to be spent by a certain date..(in our case Spetember this year)..and receipts have to be submitted. If not spent..or spent incorrectly..or you cannot produce evidence and receipts ..the money has to be returned. They don't make it easy....

I got 150 to spend on treats like massages - absolute bliss!
    What a brilliant idea....

Looks like I'll be using mine to "top-up" the overnight respite fees..I've had the go ahead to use it for that.

So back to Norrms...I think Elaine too may have to have a Carers' Assessment...but each local authority has it's own set of rules..so it's worth checking out the links that Sandy gave you, Norrms.

Love xx
    gigi

The only way to see a rainbow is to look through the rain

Hi Norms
    Think you have been answered on this one, but its true, if your a registered Carer, I actually can't remember actually having an assessment as MIL Carer, but was told I could apply to the carer's fund for things that might help me as her carere ie new washing machine for Mum, Hoovers etc etc never ever claimed (perhaps I should have) but it is there! Good luck on receiving some for your lovely wife Elaine.
    Good Luck tell her to go for whatever she can, precious little is offered after all.
    Starshine x

Time for Carer's Grant

Hi, I have been trying to get this grant which has different names according to which authority looks after you....confusing ain't it

My area it's called Time for Carer's Grant - I applied for it last September - got assessed, and told I could have the grant to spend on anything I wanted, like painting classes, club subscriptions - even a new computer! The grant was 350 per year.

The carer never returned, and I was told that he had gone on a 4 month course [found out he had actually left SS], and my assessment had been lost

Then a lady conacted me after I had complained, and said that she would look into it - get me re-assessed, and she would get my grant.....never saw her again either!

Then I got a letter from her stating that she had been trying to contact me by phone but I was always out {I am here almost 24/7 and have an answerphone!]

In her letter she asked do I still wanted to be assesed! I phoned her and said YES - then she told me that she no longer worked for this department, and was now on switchboard!

She promised to pass my request to her successor.....why did I not believe her!

After more complaints, I finally got a Social Service worker to come out and assess me.....in due course she arrived, and started to ask me all sorts of questions, and said I needed to be reassessed, and this would be done by another SS worker.

When I said my situation had got much worse since last September, she delved into her briefcase, and you will never guess what she brought out - my original assessment - that apparently had been lost!

Her parting shot was to tell me that the Time for Carer's Grant was no longer available, has been improved, and now called something else [she didn't know what it was now called]

According to information I was given last September the grant was for 350 per year [automatically renewed] - then I was told it was 350 every 3 years. Some members of this site quote other figures, and periods, and names for this grant differ..

My question is if it's a government Grant - why call it different names according to region, why is it that the amount awarded varies from 150 to 350. This grant should be the same for all carer's throughout the UK.....that's not unreasonable, or is it?

Blog Entries

Hello llamedos...

I do understand your frustration...Sandy explains the why and wherefore in the above post...

the money for the Carers' Grants comes from central government (the Dept for Health) and goes to local authorities to allow them to support the needs of carers in their area.

It looks like the total grant for 2008/2209 was 224 million (not sure exactly what areas of the UK this covers).

There is no requirement for all of this money to go directly to carers. For example, it could be used for community programmes for carers.

There is a Dept of Health document outlining how this money should be spent for those who like crunchy nuggets of detailed info:

Persevere is my only advice...they may move the goalposts..but we have to keep kicking the ball...

Love xx
    gigi

Frustration!

Hi Gigi, MY frustration comes from the in-ability of one SS worker to pass on your files when they leave, or whatever, with NO further contact from any SS staff....any other job and they would be sacked!

To be fair, they ARE good at losing your files!

I will have a look at the website mentioned, and get back to you if I get a glimmer of hope.

PS: Just tried to use the wbsite link on your message Gigi, and got an error message!
    Last edited by llamedos; 07-06-2009 at 05:18 PM.

Blog Entries

Hello llamedos...

Apologies...I've just checked that link and had the same result..
    PS: Just tried to use the wbsite link on your message Gigi, and got an error message!
    MY frustration comes from the in-ability of one SS worker to pass on your files when they leave, or whatever, with NO further contact from any SS staff....any other job and they would be sacked!
    I know, llamedos..it's a sad state of affairs...

I can only speak from my own experience as a carer...if you are unhappy with SS ..pester them night and day..and complain to them if you think you have been treated unfairly.

But don't let your dissatisfaction with SS ..and your resulting frustration..cloud your life and interfere with your caring.

You have posted such positive things about looking after your wife...that aspect is not going to change whether you get the grant or not....

Another link for you to check...
    http://www.devon.gov.uk/index/social...lth/carers.htm...this one works! (Thanks Sandy ...)
    gigi

Blog Entries
    According to all the info I have received. It is means tested ?? Try getting blood out of a stone
    Barb X

My original linked worked, but here it is again:

As far as I can tell, it is not set out as a means-tested benefit from the Dept.of Health. But as it is made to local authorities, it will be down to each authority to decide how to spend it and prioritise needs.

Take care,

Sandy
    Sandy
    Talking Point Member