Closed Thread

Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) for Alzheimers

I don't know if any of you are on or have tried LDN for Alzheimers. There's a few trials in the US taking place and the results so far are extremely encouraging. It helps not only those with Alzheimers, but those with cancer (eliminating 30% and stop/slow downs progression of 70%), MS, HIV/Aids and anyone with any auto immune disease. My Aunt has alzheimers and it's very difficult for the family as you know but probably more frustrating for her.

I myself take LDN for Crohn's/Ulcerative colitis as it boosts the immune system so anyone with any auto immune disease would greatly benefit from this drug.

I was wondering if any of you have had any experience in LDN. Would love to hear your views on this.

Many thanks!

I'm sorry to ask this, because it sounds unwelcoming, but do you have some connection with a supplier of this product? I have to say that on the surface you appear to be advertising this product, and such advertising is against out TOS. Apologies if you are genuinely seeking information, but our members are in many cases desperate people who are vulnerable.
    Jennifer

Volunteer moderator and former long distance carer.

A test of a people is how it behaves toward the old. It is easy to love children. Even tyrants and dictators make a point of being fond of children. But the affection and care for the old, the incurable, the helpless are the true gold mines of a culture.

Abraham J. Heschel

Jennifer, I have no connection whatsoever with this product. I am looking into this myself, came across it because my partner has MS and there's a possibility of my dad having prostate cancer. I am taking it due to Crohns/UC and it's helped tremendously with that. My partner's improvements have been eye opening and I was wondering if anyone had tried it with Alzheimers.

Hope that clarifies it.

Jayne

Thanks for the clarification Jayne.

One problem I can forsee is that unlike cancer and other diseases, Alzheimer's effects people's competence to make decisions about their own medical care, at least at the later stages. Doctors and family members are rightly mindful about that issue, so there aren't going to be so many people who are going to be prepared take the steps that obtaining this medication require, particularly for "off label" use.
    Jennifer

A test of a people is how it behaves toward the old. It is easy to love children. Even tyrants and dictators make a point of being fond of children. But the affection and care for the old, the incurable, the helpless are the true gold mines of a culture.

Abraham J. Heschel

Thanks Jennifer, yes you're probably right. Have I posted this in the wrong section or is there a more appropriate place where family members and carers may be able to respond?

I know at the moment it's undergoing trials and people in the UK are using it for various illnesses, just wondering if anyone on here is aware of it or is using it for Alzheimers.

Thanks for your prompt response.

Jayne

I think it's fine in here.

No one has mentioned such trials for AD sufferers in the UK but we don't hear about everything.

I was looking on clinicaltrials.gov (the US clinical trials site) and while there are trials for Crohns, MS, Fribromyalgia using LDN there's nothing for AD.
    Jennifer

Abraham J. Heschel

Thanks Jennifer, I was looking on the ldn site and it mentions the list below of illnesses it helps apart from cancers (you will see Alzheimers is listed):

ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease)
    Alzheimer's Disease
    Ankylosing Spondylitis
    Autism Spectrum Disorders
    Behcet's Disease
    Celiac Disease
    Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    CREST syndrome
    Crohn's Disease
    Emphysema (COPD)
    Endometriosis
    Fibromyalgia
    HIV/AIDS
    Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
    Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
    Parkinson's Disease
    Pemphigoid
    Primary Lateral Sclerosis (PLS)
    Psoriasis
    Rheumatoid Arthritis
    Sarcoidosis
    Scleroderma
    Stiff Person Syndrome (SPS)
    Systemic Lupus (SLE)
    Transverse Myelitis
    Ulcerative Colitis
    Wegener's Granulomatosis

Perhaps I'm mistaken about the trials with LDN and Alzhemers, in fact, I think I'm getting totally confused now myself! lol!!!

Thanks for your help and interest
    Jayne

I would imagine (I would hope in fact) that they would run trials for people who don't have the competency issues that AD raises, in order to rule out potential long-term side effects, before they start on AD.

My husband in in a clinical trial for leukemia at the moment and the paper work that goes along with it (and the need to consent to every minute change in dosage) would make such a trial difficult for people with dementia, except at a very early stage.
    Jennifer

Abraham J. Heschel

You're probably right Jennifer, I can only imagine the paper work etc.

Not related to AD I would like to say I am sorry to hear about your husband with leukemia and I hope the trial is successful for him. I can only imagine the paper work involved in a trial and you having first hand experience ..... I can only sympathise. I don't think people realize the work involved and you have just outlined it all for me, my imagination can take care of the rest.

I do wish the best for you and your husband.

With best wishes,
    Jayne

Jennifer,

Here's a site that shows how LDN can help Alzheimer sufferers. If you feel it's not appropriate for me to post a link feel free to delete, but personally I think your viewers may find this helpful and provide some more insight to what could help this awful disease.

Moderator note: link removed as it contained advertisements. Please contact Jayne directly if you want the address. Alzheimer's Society accepts no responsibility for content of external web sites.

Thanks,
    Jayne
    Last edited by Brucie; 05-02-2009 at 04:43 PM.

Hi Jennifer,

I have found numerous people on other forums using LDN for Alzheimers. For anyone interested, perhaps google LowDNaltrexone or Low Dose Naltrexone.

Thanks,
    Jayne

LDN and AD

Quote Originally Posted by jaynecrocker@ho View Post
    Jennifer,

Here's a site that shows how LDN can help Alzheimer sufferers. If you feel it's not appropriate for me to post a link feel free to delete, but personally I think your viewers may find this helpful and provide some more insight to what could help this awful disease.

Moderator note: link removed as it contained advertisements. Please contact Jayne directly if you want the address. Alzheimer's Society accepts no responsibility for content of external web sites.

Thanks,
    Jayne
    Jayne, since the moderator removed the site that you found that shows how people are using LDN for AD, I would really appreciate learning more about it. Would you please send me any info that you have. Thanks so much. Karaina

I'm afraid the poster you are addressing hasn't posted on our site since 2009. I'm locking this thread now.
    Jennifer

Abraham J. Heschel