View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Flower baskets

Here at the Bower Bird's HQ, we aren't waiting for Spring's burgeoning but have done a little burgeoning of our own. One of Mum's great loves is gardening so we try to keep the house filled with flowers and things gleaned on country walks.

Yesterday, I came back to the house to find one of Mum's carers busy planting plastic polyanthus in the flower baskets outside. Now that might well be on a par with gnomes but it looks pretty good to me, and delighted Mum when she spotted them ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Rhythm and bruise

What is it about water that draws those who have dementia toward it when they wander? Yet water in the bath or shower provokes rabid fear more often than not.

Morning is not Mum's favourite time but I boldly go where no offspring should. Today, I start with a jolly rendition of 'Oh Mr Porter' but the beat earns me Mum's best metronomic slaps. 'Oh Mr Porter, what shall I do?'...Slap, slappy, slap-slap, slap slappity slap. Bad choice. 'The Ash Grove' earns me a particularly painful ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Coconut Oil

Coconut oil 2
    Quote Originally Posted by TedHutchinson View Post
    Dietary ketosis enhances memory in mild cognitive impairment This is a new paper showing the way the use of coconut oil (because it induces ketone burning) appears to help memory.

Early dysregulation of the mitochondrial proteome in a mouse model of Alzheimer's disease If we want to improve mitochondrial function we only have limited ways to do that. Exercise, a ketogenic diet or intermittent fasting are the best ways to create new fully functional mitochondria.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Coconut Oil

Coconut oil
    Quote Originally Posted by TedHutchinson View Post
    Coconutketones is Dr Mary Newport's site on the topic. (her husband has Dementia)

If you want to understand the science of why a ketone based diet may be helpful then These AXONA videos should help

I use coconut oil in my cooking instead of industrial seed oils such as corn, soybean, safflower, sunflower and cottonseed oil. I also use MCT oil but it's difficult to find at a sensible price in the UK Organic virgin coconut oil is best bought in bulk
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Scottish government - care home fees

Quote Originally Posted by jenniferpa View Post
    P.S. and this is it from the horses mouth

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publicati.../03/26104104/4
    Jennifer's reply to Loo's post.
    Categories
    Uncategorized