View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Should I take mum to dad's funeral?

My father passed away on Sunday. I had the heartbreaking task of breaking the news to my mother who is in hospital and has vascular dementia. She cried when I told her but by the end of the conversation I realised that she thought I was talking about her father who died 50 years ago. She also thinks it's her brother, brother in law etc who has died, depending on the day. Do I correct her every time and watch her grieve or say nothing? The funeral is on Thursday - should she go? Everyone says she ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Restaurants

I am going to provide education to local restaurants about being dementia friendly. What tips do you feel are important?
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. How does a son get an unwilling mother into the bath?

Quote Originally Posted by JTB View Post
    This is proving to be more and more difficult....I have looked after mum for the past three years and this job is now shared between my two brothers and myself... Mum had three sons, all of whom are no longer married... Mother has become more and more reluctant to take her bath... She used to be fine, undressing, having her hair washed etc. Mother was never worried about undressing while we turned our backs, or letting us help her when she needed it. Now however, as soon as you mention her bath
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Getting mother to accept there is a problem

Quote Originally Posted by Big Geordie View Post
    Hi, just wondering if anyone can help with this one. I look after my wife who is 50 and suffers EOD, she knew long before she was diagnosed that a problem existed and so was happy (but scared) to actually set about getting a positive diagnosis. My mother is 77 and i'am fairly certain has early stage dementia; talks to herself, repeats things,same question 53 times in 90mins last night, loses items, she dragged a wheelie bin into the kitchen last week whilst searching for something, struggles with
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Need advice please

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy C View Post
    Hi. I am new to this but need some advice if anyone can help please. My mom has dementia and has had for about 6 years. She is only 73 and seems to be deteriorating quickly at the moment. She lives at home with her husband who is 94 and it is starting to take the strain on him. He is very proud and has just about started to ask me for help. What I need to know is are there trained people who would come and sit with my mom each day to, 1, give her stimulation and 2, give my step dad a break.
    Categories
    Uncategorized