View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. My wife just diagnosed

My 70 year old wife (Ellen) had an appointment with a psychiatrist today. She has been attending him for some time and also a phsycologist. She also attends the Glasgow Memory Clinic as she has been having trouble with her memory for some time and she gets depressed. At the Memory Clinic she is on an 18 month trial - either on, an as yet, unapproved drug, or a placebo. The Psychiatrist confirmed today that she has early signs of Alzheimers and he suggests putting her on to Aricept. Our dilemma ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. New & frustrated

Quote Originally Posted by Jiffy View Post
    Hi, I registered and have been reading through the forum since my mum was diagnosed with alzheimer's and vascular dementia two weeks ago. I would like to know when the system starts to work with you instead of against you?!

She is only 65 and has deteriorated dramatically over the last 18-24 months. She was very agressive and defensive, and would not accept from family or friends that something was wrong. It took several phone calls to her GP before my concerns were taken seriously
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Lovely Weather we're Having!

IdeLast night I visited my lovely mum.
    When I arrived she was in the lounge. As we entered the room the male nurse called to mum that she had a visitor, as we approached her chair her face lit up 'Oh, how lovely to see you! You're looking really well!' - unfortunately this enthusiastic welcome was aimed at the nurse rather than me. We had a laugh about it, he explained that I was the visitor and mum repeated the welcome, this time looking at me. She the preceeded to tell me my hair was lovely ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Dad on Aricept after 4 Week Trail !

Best bit of Good News have had since 2009/2010 when coming to terms with Dad having Dementia My emotions were all over the place at that time ! !

Am hoping it will give him " A Window of a better quality of life & he can enjoy life more !
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Mum's at her wits end.

Quote Originally Posted by Christin View Post
    Hello Toffee, I am sorry to read that your father has dementia, your mum must be wonderful to be caring for him alone.

This is a link to the local info for AS services, you could contact them to ask what is available in their area. Alternatively you could contact your local adult social services office.

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/sc...egoryID=200121

This is the link to the AS factsheet re community care assessments, your mother
    Categories
    Uncategorized