View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Doll Therapy

My mother is 93yrs suffering from vascular dementia. She has been in a nursing home for the last 3yrs of her life. Difficult as this is, seeing mum agitated and aggressive( opp to her personaltiy) and unable to communicate effectively is even more distressing.
    At christmas my sister and | noticed she was finding comfort from a teddy bear andwe felt that we should buy her a doll to see if this would help reduce her agitation etc.
    To our amazement we have not only found it has reduced ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Its getting worse now

We had hoped to have a visit from the elocal AA representative Lynda recently but someone called to say she was sick and would make another appointment. I hope she is feeling better again, but we have not heard anything more back, and we would really need to see someone soon about various issues. Paul himself is anxious to talk to someone. He has had a bad chest infection which left him so weak one morning he couldn't get up off the floor and I had to call the paramedics out. He has been given an ...
    Tags: angry, heating
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. You're right to scream. My brother has a form of dementia that affects his perceptio

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy Brooks View Post
    My brothert has a rare form of dementia that affects his perception - beautifully decribed by Oliver Sacks in The Mind's Eye. I find letting off steam, and knowing that's what you are doing, apologising to those in the line of fire, while you let rip keeps me sane in a mad world. Take care you are not alone the fight is on for acceptable care and diagnosis. Try and enjoy the peace and insist the care home respect your right to me time. These homes are making a fortune to manage our relatives
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Copies of POA

Quote Originally Posted by nitram View Post
    "...I think it was DWP who didn't return the copy..."

Your local Job Centre Plus will take a copy, certify it, and send the certified copy off to be registered on their system for free.
    Job Centre?
    Does this mean they would hold an official copy for all government parties to access?
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Refusal to get up, eat eals.

My daughter and I visited my wife who is now in permanent care at 2pm. Only to find her in bed still in her night clothes. Having persuaded her to get up and dressed, also to eat the sandwich supplied from the home and the banana and ice cream I had taken in, I thgen discovered that at least four attempts had been made to get my wife out of bed and dressed, with sytrong refusal at all times. How does a home cope with this situation, does the Human Rights Act preclude all attempts at persuasion. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized