View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Path of least resistance

Dear all, we are here because dementia has affected our lives in one way or another.

Unknown to us at the time my family's journey started a few years ago. My husband's diagnosis came last year, early onset dementia, probable alzheimers. He was 56, so young, so devasting for him, so devasting for all of us. With hindsight the first early signs, impossible to detect, impossible to diagnose, were there in 2007. The interim years have been difficult. The diagnosis stressful and not without ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. My Dad

Where do I begin? How do I begin?
    My dad is 86 almost 87 and was diagnosed with Alzheimers and Vascular Dementia almost two years ago.He has always been a fiercely independent man and has enjoyed being in charge of his own life and resents greatly the fact that he is no longer in charge of his own life.

Unfortunately he has deteriorated over the past year to the point were he had to be hospitalised during the summer for his own safety.He left four unlit gas rings on and was ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. My Grandpa and Best Friend.

My name is Amber and im 18, about two years ago my grandpa who is also my best friend was diagnosed with Alzheimers.

When he was first diagnosed i was scared to even go see him, but when i manged to talk myself into it, he was the same man proud man as always he just had more of a sense on humour, that lasted about 6 months or so and then he got quite voilent towards my grandma, never towards me of in front of me or my mum but my grandma would tell us when we went to see them,and ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. My Mum

Hi i'm new on the site. My beautiful Mum was diagnosed 6 years ago with Early Onset Dementia (56) and she has deteriorated quite considerably over this time.
    She has alway been on aricept but has now been prescribed Ibeca....(I hope I have spelt this right...!) which seems to have changed her quite dramatically. Over the past 4 weeks she seems to have come alive a little more, and has even started to chat about her work before she became ill (She was a nurse) although still very confused. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. CHC Reassessment.

My 91 year old mother has been luckier than most and received CHC for two years. Now there are signs from the homes nursing staff that she may lose eligability on reassessment!!!!
    Since her last assessment she has become incontinent and bed-bound and has lost mobility in all limbs. Except for potty when two carers must support her, she stays in bed. She cannot to feed herself and takes only pureed food and liquid meds.She has also become unable to speak or make any sort of facial expression, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized