View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. This journey has more ups & downs than a roller coaster

I wish life was different, I wish dad had never had his strokes then he most likely wouldn't have Vascular dementia
    I wish we earned more money & I could afford not to work, then may be I would be a better daughter & have been able to care for dad at home
    I wish he didn't have to be in a home,
    I wish he understood how much I love him,
    I wish for all that we have lost as a family
    I wish he understood how well his grandsons are doing, 1 finishing Phd 1 uni ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. update

Still don't know if I am posting in the right place. I am not even sure what doing a blog is, suppose I am doing that now. What I am wanting to do now if anyone manages to read this is to say thank you to those who have responded to my first posting/blog? and to give you an update. I took the advice from the replies written and have made an appointment for the GP to come to our house on wednesday when presumably "the test" will be done. My wife is very concerned about this as her mother ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Help

Just came to site with all sorts of stuff in my head. I don't know how this works. You are the people out there that have been through what I'm about to do shortly, decide how my mother spends the remaining part o f her life here on earth. How do I communicate or get a response, am I doing this wrong?
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Being in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by lonelyson View Post
    I am a lone male carer who has just registered for this site. Mum is 81 with advanced dementia and various other problems. She has started getting up in the middle of the night and consequently had a fall and broke her femur. She has now been in hospital for two weeks and getting really ancy to be home. I have two main questions really. When is it care home versus home and how do you stay in charge of meetings and decisions? I am meeting with adult care tomorrow. Any advice or hints would be greatly
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Elinor~ thanks for your reply!

Sounds like we have some of the same problems and can at least commiserate w/ each other even if we don't have the answers. One thing I have learned is that it doesn't do any good to argue w/ them. They have lost the ability to reason and their memory loss to them is a new event each time they can't remember something, instead of a cumulative effect. The distrust and suspicious, paranoid behavior is just one of the many symptoms so common to Alzheimer pts. If you can stop for a minute and try to ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized