View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. What next?

My mum was diagnosed with dementia last year. I had noticed a few things but my dad had been masking it for quite a while. Since November mum has refused to eat more and more and now eats nothing. She was hospitalised a couple of weeks ago but seems to be getting worse daily. She is having a scan today as the nurses are saying that the dementia has gotten much worse. They have discovered that she is constipated and has thrush at the back of her throat and they suggest that this is why sge isn't ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. February 16th

Sent email to my siblings after mental health nurse visited. Telling the advise is to have a good weekly routine. I know it will upset my sister. MHN recommends my siblings, that have to stay overnight, only visit at weekends and leave weekdays to lve in carer and siblings that live closest. Sounds sensible to me. My 2 bothers, who live closest can visit to cover carers breaks mon- thurs. my other brother and hopefully my sister and I can do one weekend in three between us. . Let's see what happens ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Remembering beyond the illness - my lovely dad

I originally joined the Forum around two years ago and then somewhat ironically, kept forgetting my passwords. I have dipped in and out since, reading others experiences and sharing some of my own. My lovely dad was diagnosed in October 2009, the same month my second daughter was born. He died this Christmas and I can only thank god that he didn't have to suffer any longer. Mum had coped so very long and dad's Alzheimer's and Parkinson's was progressing so quickly. We were making the final ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Something positive

at last, after 3 months on Aricept mum got an improved result on her memory test today. I was cautiously optimistic, not sure how long this will last or even if it will improve anymore but it does seem to have given her some more time, before we lose her to this disease. She will be 80 in June now we can look forward as a family to celebrating with her and more to the point her with us.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. What medication should be used\/

Quote Originally Posted by Debbiel View Post
    My Mum has alzheimer's and was diagnosed in 2006. She lives in Cape Town with her lovely husband who has cared for her with devotion, but very quickly it has become too difficult. I live in London and have just come out to Cape Town to help settle her in a Care Home. Both the care home and her doctor want her to take Riperdal 0.5mg daily, and say she will be on it for the rest of her life. I looked up this drug which is an anti psychotic, and all the information says that it should not be prescribed
    Categories
    Uncategorized