View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. My Father, "The Big Bear" - he doesnt even remember he has children...

My father was diagnosed about 6 years ago. He has declined rapidly and it has been a painful process watching him gradually forget the majority of the last 50 years of his life. He was once a big, cuddly man - like a big Teddy Bear - ok he had a bit of a temper but he was never physically violent. But for the last 2 years he has changed into a confused, bitter, vicious, verbally abusive man. I know its the illness, but to see and hear the way he treats my mother is so painful. He swears at her ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. I need some advice

My dad has vascular dementia, 9 weeks ago he fell and broke his femur, he had the operation, obviously because he had anasthetic his dementia has got worse. Unfortunately last wednesday he had a fall again. He now cant walk, hes had x-rays and they are all clear. Is he in the late stage of dementia ie. that he has forgotten to walk
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Time to look back

Looking back at the first blog I did, I noticed that I was going to post some good times to look back on,and I see that I managed all of two. I suppose that's par for the course.

My dad has gone, and I now worry about my mum in the nursing home and I feel guilty that she is there, as she says, on her own. She isn't on her own of course, but surrounded by people much worse than her and all because she wanders. If she didn't she would be able to be with others that she can talk to, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. My Mum's Story

Hi,

My mum, now aged 88, has been suffering from mixed dementia in an aggressive form for at least eight years. It is hard to pinpoint the onset, but I had noticed a change in her behaviour and memory loss, but both mum and dad had succeeded in successfully concealing the true gravity of the situation.

In 2005, my dad, who was suffering end stage heart failure, was admitted as an emergency to hospital for the final time with a dissected aorta, and passed away after ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Im losing my mum, my best friend.

The last time i saw my mum was about 6 months ago, i live in Devon, mum and dad live in London. Dad is her full time carer now, and has done a brillient job for the past 4 years. Mum has Altheimers and Dementia.
    I cant begin to tell you what i think of this disease, only to say that it is a human destroyer, sole destroying and destroyer of all family and close friends.
    I dont like to use the word Destroyer marginally either.
    As an only child, mum was my best friend, agony aunt ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized